To sell or NOT to sell, that is the question

hubby and i own a dodge durango 2011 crew awd 3.6 flew fuel, its in GREAT shape, we put new battery, new rotors, wheel bearings, brake pads, hubs , LOW mileage , ect ect ect , it runs good !
BUT ? dot dot dot …
WE WANT A JEEP … we had a jeep liberty 2010 before Mr Durango …
feedback thoughts comments , PLEASE !

If it meets your needs, and if its really in terrific condition, why would you sell it? :thinking:

On the other hand, if you just want to reward yourself with a new vehicle–complete with full warranty coverage for several years and all of the safety upgrades that have taken place over the past decade or so-- why not? That’s what I did a couple of years ago.

My 11 year old Outback was in flawless condition, but I wanted to reward myself in my remaining years, so I traded it in, and I am very happy that I did so. Only you can decide what is right for you.

5 Likes

Hardly any of the regulars here ever say buy a Jeep . The ratings for Jeep vehicles are just not that good . So if you want one buy new if you can with full warranty .

Of course I don’t concider a Jeep Liberty a real Jeep and have zero trust in the current owners .

5 Likes

Which Jeep do you want?

1 Like

This isn’t a financial decision, this is an emotional one. You want what you want. That is valid.

Given some of the reliability issues with Jeeps, I’d suggest you consider a new one and trade it before the warranty runs out.

3 Likes

The only Jeeps I would ever want other than the Wrangler/X would be either the 2012-2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.4 L Hemi V8 SRT8/SRT
Or even Better
The 2018-2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.2 L supercharged Hemi V8 Trackhawk… :drooling_face:

2 Likes

My comment is that in this period of increasing economic uncertainly, why on Earth would you trade a vehicle which you know and can trust for another vehicle which might be far less reliable, incurring tens of thousands of dollars of expense in the process??? Yeah, I can’t think of any reason either, and hope you reconsider this silly idea.

1 Like

Just my 2 cents.
IMG_1782

1 Like

I was in the same situation as the OP. My physician wrote out a prescription for me that for my mental health, I need a Mazda Miata sports car. I should have filled the prescription filled on the way home, but I went straight home. Mrs. Triedaq volunteered to fill the prescription and went to get it filled. She came back with a Toyota Sienna minivan. When I said that the Sienna is not a Mazda Miata, she said “I had the prescription filled generically”. Now the Sienna fills my needs better than a Mazda Miata. I couldn’t transport a string bass, two oboe players, one of whom has to use a knee scooter which I had to fit in the Sienna along with the string bass and the bass player’s stool, my French horn and 4 people in n a Miata. Practical consideration won over my emotional wants
As for Dodge products, they seem to be the only make available at rental agencies when I have needed to rent a vehicle. I once needed to rent a minivan. The agent asked me if a Dodge Caravan would be o.k. I replied, I would prefer a Duke Ellington Caravan. The agent said, “Sorry, we only rent Duke Ellington Caravans to Sophisticated Ladies”. At another agency, I wanted to rent a SUV. I was asked if a Dodge Journey would be satisfactory. said that I would prefer a Sentimental Journey. The agent said, “Sorry, Doris Day has already rented it”. In both cases, the Dodge products were satisfactory. I really liked the power lift gate on the Dodge Caravan which I don’t have on my Sienna. The Dodge Journey was comfortable for the 375 miles we drove the vehicle.
My recommendation is if your present vehicle meets your needs, stick with it.

2 Likes

thanks for your reply: i have ask myself that same question again and again …
why would i sell a good old Durango ??? smh …
we want a jeep, something about driving one…
what about an OLDER model, one to just cruise around town in ? :slight_smile: and we keep the Durango?

1 Like

Once again , that is a decision for you to make . But you might want to look at several online sellers and see the ridiculous prices used Jeeps are listed for .

3 Likes

So, by “Jeep”, you mean “Wrangler”, right?

There are many other Jeeps.

2 Likes

Just as I wouldn’t want someone to choose my dinner for me, I wouldn’t want someone to choose my vehicle for me. You have to make this type of decision for yourself–taking into account all of the factors that are important to you.

3 Likes

Financially, this makes no sense.

Emotionally, only you can answer this question.

For what it’s worth… I don’t understand the appeal of Jeeps, especially the Wrangler. I see a lot of them around my part of the world that are heavily “enhanced” for “rugged off-roading”…and the most challenging environment I see them in is at the Target parking lot. Wranglers tend to be noisy, ride rough, drink a lot of gas, and have reliability issues.

But to each his own.

4 Likes

I think it was asemaster that said it best, rent whatever you want to buy for a week or 2 to see how you feel about it after driving it in the real world for a while…

2 Likes

i know, those are my thoughts too… why?
we are Definity thinking and reconsidering …
thank you so much for your comment !

1 Like

yes , i had thought of that … great idea , thanks alot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, but one should make sure that the rental vehicle is the exact same trim line as the one that he/she wants to buy. Rental companies rarely buy the upper trim lines of a particular model, and if the OP wants to treat herself to a more “deluxe” version, a rental vehicle probably won’t be identical to what she wants to buy.

A vehicle might–theoretically–be the same, but a “lower” trim line is likely to have different seats and different size wheels–both of which are likely to have an effect on one’s comfort. And, a “lower” trim line is also likely to have a smaller video screen and fewer creature comforts/convenience features.

Edited to add: A lower trim line may also have a smaller engine!

1 Like

WRANGLER, OR PATRIOT …

I would run away from the Patriot, a Jeep in name only. Based on a front wheel drive chassis, very problematic.

4 Likes