To heat or not to heat the car seat?

The Boys don’t like it.

I thought the idea of heated seats was silly until I bought a 2001 Durango with heated leather...OMG it was incredible, the high setting was way too much, but low was soooo nice to have during the Kansas winters! I'm a boy and I like my bum to be warm and I am proud of it! hehehehe

After a workout, heated seats are the absolute best. If I have to work out to live longer, the older I get, the more I’m going to spoil myself and keep my keister and back warm.

I’m female and not only can we NOT say that I’m a fan of heated carseats, I am so deprived that I have never experienced one. I suspect age and muscle tiredness might relate as much as gender?

I like the seat heat for about 1/2 hour, but my wife has it on all the time when the weather is below 40. Would not be without it…would also like a heated steering wheel!

Im a guy…true blue…drive 30k a year…have a bad back and heated seats are the only way to go…those guys that have issues with heated seats also have issues with hemrhoids…I dont!

I am a female, and I HATE heated seats. I live in the Northwest, and it gets fairly cold. I would never pay extra for heated seats. However, just about all of my girlfriends love them.

We’re exactly the opposite! My husband LOVES heated seats, while I hate them!

I really like heated seats or backs because it feels really good for my cramps before and during my period. There are certain times of the month when my body temperture really drops and I like heat.

In my opinion heated seats are for under-dressed sissy’s male or female. My only experience with a heated seat so far has been in the forklift at work. Here in Wyoming when the temperature is 0 or below I dress for it. I have noticed that people who use seat heaters even at work are people who don’t dress for the weather, it’s hard to be fashionable when you are bundled up for the temperature. I have experianced the hot buns usually about the time I’m done using the lift. It takes that long to soak through my heavy work clothes. The same guys that turn on the seat heater are the guys that turn the shop thermostats to 90 as soon as they get to work.
Thanks for letting me VENT.
Steve

OK, so I’m female and I WISH I had heated car seats in my car. My husband and his friends really love their heated seats, but they wouldn’t be caught dead voting on a website. They really help during the time it takes for the car to warm up, which takes awhile here in frigid Vermont.
If it’s too hot, just keep it on low and shut it off when you’re warm enough. That’s what we do.

A woman is born with more than 200 eggs in her ovaries, warmly kept in her abdomen in their little cases until puberty. Then they pop out one at a time until menopause. They never have to divide and their genetics stay quite stable. Internal body heat is not a problem.

In males however, we need to keep making billions and billions (imagine Carl Sagan saying it) of sperm cells our entire lives. That means each sperm stem cell divides to make another sperm stem cell and a sperm. It is the constant process of cell division that increases the mutation rate, making sperm from a 20 year old more potent and better because of fewer mutations. Ah, the physiology of youth.

That means old farts like me have poorer sperm which should not impregnate anyone and there are multiple harm reduction approaches and contexts to achieve quality sex without pregnancy. A couple of snips via a vasectomy is an easy solution.

Given all the cell division, a small increase in heat such as being in the abdomen (a rare male birth defect) markedly increases the risk of severe testicular cancer and the testes must be removed before puberty.

The evolutionary biological answer for this dilemma was for most male land mammals to carry their testicles outside the abdomen in a small sac. This was so they could stay cooler. On hot days, they descend, sometimes to surprising lengths with advancing age. This keeps them cooler. On cold days or swimming in cold water, they curl up and snuggle next to the abdomen for warmth.

So what has this to do with car seats and males. Sitting on your testicles while driving a car lowers the testicles chances to lose heat and our bodies don’t like that. Sitting on a cold car seat sucks heat from them and our bodies do like that. Sitting on a hot car seat compounds the heat problem and our bodies really don’t like that.

On the other hand, we males, especially us old farts with sore, aching backs, LOVE lumbar heat, especially in the winter when morning rigor mortise is palpable.
The solution is obvious. Make a heated car seat that has the option of a “lumbar only” heat setting and males would flock to it in doves, even to some extent in the summer.

Cool testicles and warm lower backs are the way to go.

Just wanted to say that I use my car seat warmer for soothing my lower back pain? It feels great!

males usually burn 2500-3000 calories a day, women burn 1000-1500 calories a day. males produce heat, women require heat. that is why women’s hands are cold and males hands are warm. the extremities of the body reflect how cold or hot the core body temp !!

Heated seats were the top of the “Need” list when my wife and I went shopping for the car we would be using in our Vermont retirement. After 20 years in Las Vegas, we became very sensitive to the comfort/discomfort of leather seats in hot climates and knew a cold climate would be torture if we had to endure winter on ice cold seats. We both have back issues and heated seats take the dread out of road trips. As long as we live and drive in this freezing latitude, heated seats will always be under us.

Both my wife and I enjoy our heated car seats. She, because she is a she; I, because I have an ailing/stiff/painful lower back and the seat provides heat therapy while I’m in a seated position for an extended time.

I don’t like heated seats. They feel like I just sat down on a recently used toilet seat.

You guys and your listeners are nuts. I am a woman and just learned about heated car seats. I was riding with my boss in his mini when he asked me if I wanted the seat heater turned on. I thought he was joking, a heated car seat. At 63 years old, I have my own internal heater which is always on, but even when I was young and living in New York, I couldn’t imagine wanting such a device. Actually, I’d love to have a chilled seat, especially living in Florida since 1959. Can’t tell you how many time that I’ve scorched the back of my legs on a car seat. When it’s cold out side, I rarely have bare legs.

By the way, the caller asking about a stick shift for her daughter should encourage her to go for it. There is nothing that gives a girl/woman the sense of control over her vehicle and confidence dealing with male drivers, mechanics, etc. And it’s just plain fun!

I am female; interestingly, the first time I was ever in a car with heated seats (a Honda Accord) was on a date with a young man – this was in 1999 and the guy was 26 years old. He not only had the heated seats, but was the first person I knew who had Lo-Jack instead of an obnoxious horn or siren anti-theft device.

Personally, I love heated seats but did not get them when buying my last car, in January 2010 because they would have added too much to the already expensive car.

I thought I would crack the mystery but I see by reading some of the posts that it’s no mystery at all. It’s due to the male anatomy. Even though most of us men don’t even know that we need to keep our testicles a little cooler than body temperature we must do it instinctively.