"titles" for posters on the new website

Don’t include ME in that statement

If someone held in prison knows how to diagnose & repair cars, or has other technical skills, like a computer or electronics expert, to me it seems to make sense to allow them to offer their help on internet forums on that topic. As long as they behave politely of course. For those of us on the outside who need the help to fix our DVD player or lawnmower, why not? It gives a prisoner with that expertise a chance to be a community volunteer. I don’t claim to know much about the best way to deal with prisoners, but it seems a program which allows prisoners to earn the privilege to participate in internet forums an hour a day maybe, where they’d be able to provide helpful advice, that would be a good thing for everybody. It also clear to me that a program like this would have to be carefully monitored.

There’s just a whole host of reasons you can’t allow inmates internet access. One is that its impossible to monitor what they are doing in facilities that are already stretched for resources. There are just too many ways to accomplish theft and fraud to take a chance on it. Even without the access they have managed to steal identities and tax refunds. Better to ship the DVD or lawn mower to them to have it fixed on the inside. Problem is everything has to be searched and double checked to make sure contraband isn’t stuffed inside the DVD or lawn mower cylinder. Its a tough job.

The only reason they are stretched for resources ,is the fact that too many people are in there because they stepped on the wrong toes ,some can by with murder ,others get canned for trumped up marijuana charges ,believe you this "someone is making money from the penal system "

1 Like