I can live without the top whatever posters, but really miss the ability to rate a post!

If your with me on this post a reply and maybe the web lackeys can get it going!

Hi - we hear you, and we’re moving toward implementing something very soon. I’m looking over some plugins this weekend. Vanilla has also told us they’re developing a new liking/rating feature. We’ll continuously evaluate our options after we put something into place.

Carolyn

“If your with me on this post a reply and maybe the web lackeys can get it going!”

I don’t believe that a post rating system is right because such a rating system using your judgement and view of a post whether positive or negative, correct or not, does not require you to articulate why you think whatever you think of a post. On the other hand, you can feel free to post a contradictory or affirmative comment in response to a post without being abrasive.

Perhaps if such a rating system is used, it should reveal the names of the raters as well as their rating so they can’t hide behind anonymity.

I’m with Wha Who.

“Perhaps if such a rating system is used, it should reveal the names of the raters as well as their rating so they can’t hide behind anonymity.”

I disagree. If someone wants to amplify or disagree with a post, they should feel free to do so and can remain anonymous. Explanation should be at the poster’s discretion.

I’m with Wha Who.

I see some great responses, and I see bad responses to the same question. I want to be able to have the poster see which responses seem best, based on rating by members. I hate to repost somebodies correct answer.

“I hate to repost somebodies correct answer.”

A good rating is no guarantee of correctness. There are a lot of gold stars for what I call “applause lines”, e.g., “Shouldn’t we all try to become better citizens of the universe?” There were plenty of gold stars for the “half-pizza” posts which amounted to, “Hey, it’s only a puzzler. Who cares about a quarter inch?” I, and a few of my brilliant friends, stuck to our geometry and were rewarded with an abject apology aired on the show. Yes, I was on the right side of history, and the gold stars were not.

(Brief pause for applause.)

Maybe you don’t want to be caught reposting somebody’s lousy answer. You ought to be able to find the essence of your post in someone else’s by using the search box.

I think that your accidentally posting the meat of someone else’s answer is a better vote for it than clicking on stars.

This forum is a place where people come for help and some of us try to help them. Occasionally we also post to debate or discuss a subject we care about, pass on a tip, or even discuss a technical theory. Rating postings will accomplish nothing but to drive people from the forum.

Humerous ratings such as “long lost Magliozzi brother” are fun. They allow us to laugh at ourselves. But judgemental postings can do no good, only harm. Correct my posts if they’re in error, but plase do not rate them.