Tires

are recap tires safe.

They are supposed to be but I don’t recommend using them. I had an extremely bad experience with recap tires in 1985 – three out of four lost their treads, and have not used them since. I got a refund from a reputable tire company and got new tires. Have continued on that path since then. The worst new tires are more likely safer than the best recaps for passenger cars and light trucks.

If done right and if you are not pushing them (speed or weight) Yea, usually.

Personally I don’t see the price difference being worth the risk. How much would you be paying for recaps vs new. What kind of price difference are you talking about.

BTW I am assuming you are talking about using recaps on both ends of the axel(s) You should always have closely matched tyres on each axel.

I have not seen recapped passenger-car tires in a long time…Heavy truck tires are recapped but that’s about it…

You see the recap part of recap tires along the side of Interstate highways all the time after they have seperated from the core of the tire. On trucks, I think they only put them on dual tire axles, specially on trailers, where a blowout and instant disintegration of the tire won’t result in a disaster. On a car, they would be very dangerous to use.

Perceptions about retreaded tires are often very dated and simply wrong… I can assure you there have been continual technological improvements in the retreading process over the years and retreaded tires are used safely every day by passenger vehicles as well as aircraft, ambulances, fire engines, and school buses.

We often hear people say that the rubber on the road is from retreaded tires… In fact, The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration published a study in 2008 (Commercial Medium Tire Debris Study - Report No: DOT HS 811 60) in which they collected almost 1,500 pieces of tire fragments from the roads. The study concluded that the fragments they found were from NEW and retreaded tires in equal proportion to their service on the roads and had little to do with the manufacturing or retreading process. The top 2 types of damage they discovered from the debris studied were the result of road hazards (39%) and excessive heat (30%) from improper inflation or other abuse. Please visit www.retread.org for more information about the economic and environmental benefits of retreaded tires. Information provided by the Tire Retread & Repair Information Bureau

Yes, i think it is a matter of economics. Our family has used retreded tires in the past, when the cost of retreading compared to buying new was favorable. We never had a single retread failure.

At this point in time for pasenger cars, cheap imported tires have driven retreads off the market; heavy duty and expensive truck tires are still retreaded, as are aircraft tires. Last I heard, commercial jet tires are retreaded up to 7 times before they are discarded. In those situations, we have very specific localized wear (touchdown) and too many of those will dictate discard or retread.

Your information seems to come directly from the recap insustrial complex.

tires are not something you want to be really cheap about. Even some of the cheapo tires are probably safer than a recap for passenger vehicles.

I used to run on recapped tires back in the early to mid 1960s. The tire dealer was a friend of the family and was fussy about the casings. He told me that a good recap on a sound casing was better than a new third line tire. When I was away in graduate school and would need tires, I would tell my Dad. He would tell his friend that I needed a couple of tires and the friend would set aside some good casings and have them ready for me when I came home.
This friend and his shop are long gone and I hadn’t thought about recapped tires in a long time and don’t even know where I would buy a recap. I never did have a problem with any of the recapped tires that I purchased back then.

They are garbage and unsafe at highway speeds. They are a hazard to the driver and other drivers.

If a company wants to produce them they should have their employees in their area go out on a regular basis and clean them up off the highway.