Tires should be rotated every oil change?

The tire pressure was at 43 psi when I checked after a transport. Still under the 44 maximum.(But I checked with a Discount Tire “pencil” tester.)
(An engineer says the maximum is still under the true maximum. He said on the German autobaun, many drivers keep their tires at maximum pressure.)

At highway speeds, you want harder tires to lessen tire flexion which causes heat build-up.

What your engineer friend says applies to underinflated tires, and it holds true that if they’re underinflated, they will overheat at highway speeds. Nobody is suggesting your underinflate your tires though.

…and as we’ve learned by listening to Click and Clack, engineers often come up with wacky ideas about how to treat their cars due to misapplied theory. I’d trust the dozen or two engineers who designed your vehicle and established a safe tire pressure before I trust your single unnamed engineer who was not on the team that designed your vehicle and established the safest recommended tire pressure.

Again, I have no hope in changing your behavior, I’m just arguing for the safety of sane logical people who might stumble upon this thread.

BTW, Robert, unless you’re actually recommending this practice to others, we’re good here. We’re in agreement that you should go right on doing what you’re doing. You’ll spend the money you save on fuel on tires instead of fuel, but I doubt anyone has any hope of modifying your behavior.

If, on the other hand, you suggest other people overinflate their tires to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall, this is going to drag on, because I’m not going to let that go.

Yes, I am recommending that everyone put their tires close to the maximum inflation pressure to save fuel and pollution.
The greater center tread wear I expected apparently is negligible.
Such is not causing one to spend fuel savings on tires.
(But I am concerned at what harder tires do to the vehicle’suspension.)

Your point about the one engineer vs the many automobile engineers is valid.
But are they promoting passenger comfort in order to sell more of their vehicles?
(I do not care about comfort. I sweat rather than use more gas operating the air conditioner.
I also defeated the Daytime Running Lights.)

Do you know how much pollution is created to make your tires when you replace them sooner than is necessary? Do you know how much pollution is crated by the disposal of old tires? Do you factor this pollution into your calculations when you compare it to the post catalyzed gasses that come out of your vehicle’s tailpipe?

Do you understand that “negligible” is a qualitative opinion, not a quantitative fact?

Do you understand that your so-called “negligible” uneven tire wear is a symptom of reduced traction?

What exactly qualifies you to advise others to ignore the safety guidelines listed in their vehicles’ owners manuals?

Yes, I am recommending that everyone put their tires close to the maximum inflation pressure to save fuel and pollution.

Sorry…but that is an extremely bonehead suggestion. Yes I know you proclaim to run your tires at max…and drive at these ridiculous speeds…

But driving with tires inflated well above what’s recommended by the manufacturer is just plain stupid. Tires that inflated give you FAR FAR FAR less control then when tires are inflated correctly. Based upon your posts here - you really don’t know much about cars…and you no NOTHING about engineer and physics. Please don’t start making bone-head recommendations that might lead to the death of someone. That is just plain irresponsible.

But Mike, Robert is SAVING LIVES running blood.

Do you know how much pollution is created to make your tires when you replace them sooner than is necessary?

That is a good point!
But I have not replaced the tires sooner. They have always gone beyond their expected mileage.

I have no qualifications to advise higher pressures. Just my experience and what the German engineer says is practiced in Germany where fuel prices are terribly high.

Do automobile manufacturers have us ride on softer tires (35psi) to give a better ride so people will like their vehicles? (A friend’s Cadillac I rode in was soooo smooth. His tires were at 28 psi! His fuel mileage, horrible.)

I like my tires hard too. but im a slowpoke unless im on the freeway.

when the guy inflates your tire to spec on the balancing machine and then installs them, I m sure the added weight of the car brings the pressure up anyway

@Robert, I think automotive engineers choose tire pressures based on a combination of factors, not just one, with ride comfort and safety being among them. Nonetheless, comparing your friend’s Cadillac to your Expedition is a useless exercise.

@Robert_Gift: “I have no qualifications to advise higher pressures.”

My work here is done.

I still have a hard time believing that a blood-bank would take the risk of allowing one of their employees (or contractors) drive at very high (UNSAFE) speeds. When and if Robert gets in an accident and hurts/kills someone…the blood-bank could be sued for MILLIONS. All you have to do is look what happened to Domino’s pizza 20+ years ago. No company is going to take that risk.

comparing your friend's Cadillac to your Expedition is a useless exercise.
It showed that his ride was so comfortable because his tires were softer. (I was not comparing it to a 4WD SUV which I believe has a stiffer suspension.)
I'm sure the added weight of the car brings the pressure up anyway
I believe they inflate to the correct pressure, or in my case, 42psi, when on the floor. But would love to learn the difference.
I still have a hard time believing that a blood-bank would take the risk of allowing one of their employees (or contractors) drive at very high (UNSAFE) speeds. When and if Robert gets in an accident and hurts/kills someone...the blood-bank could be sued for MILLIONS. All you have to do is look what happened to Domino's pizza 20+ years ago. No company is going to take that risk.

I think this is one of those areas where the actual mindset is “Do it, just don’t tell me about it”

They might look at the speed limits and realize “we want it faster than that” but would never remotely suggest breaking the speed limits for liability reasons.

Whitey I have rotated tires every 10,000 miles for many years. This is every other oil change. I get very even tire wear.

Doubtful.

A traffic Engineer said driving 15 to 20 mph over the posted speed limit is not dangerous.
He said they already set speed limits to a lower, conservative level.

I complained to them about 55 mph westbound down I-70 from the Eisenhower Tunnels being too slow for the gentle curves and no intersections.
“Many are riding their brakes and many are going faster.”

They raised the speed limit there to a whole 60 mph!

I think this is one of those areas where the actual mindset is "Do it, just don't tell me about it"

After the incident where the hospital asked where their blood was (I was cruising at 95 mph in 75 mph posted) I asked the State Patrol about safe speeds.
Trooper said 110mph in ideal conditions - dry, clear, daylight, no traffic.
Still, I was worried if I am damaging the 4WD drive train.

Whitey I have rotated tires every 10,000 miles for many years. This is every other oil change. I get very even tire wear
I believe that Discount Tire balances the tires when they do a rotation. Otherwise it would take less time if I rotated them myself. I like your 10k interval much better.

I think this is one of those areas where the actual mindset is “Do it, just don’t tell me about it”

They might look at the speed limits and realize “we want it faster than that” but would never remotely suggest breaking the speed limits for liability reasons.

Actually no…Domino’s pizza tried that in their defense for several of their lawsuits. They had a policy of 20 minutes or less after you called in. But if you live 10 miles away…and it takes 10 minutes to make a pizza…that left 10 minutes to deliver the pizza 10 minutes away. There was no high-way route…so the drivers had to average 60mph to reach their destination on time. Domino’s claimed they NEVER told the drivers to speed…but looking at their delivery time…they MUST have known that the pizza could NOT be delivered in 20 minutes or less.

After the incident where the hospital asked where their blood was (I was cruising at 95 mph in 75 mph posted) I asked the State Patrol about safe speeds.
Trooper said 110mph in ideal conditions - dry, clear, daylight, no traffic.
Still, I was worried if I am damaging the 4WD drive train.

Again…hard time believing that a Trooper would risk the liability of saying something that stupid. I doubt any trooper would EVER say it’s OK and safe to drive 50mph over the speed limit. That’s just absurd. Sorry…NOT going to happen.

I m sure the added weight of the car brings the pressure up anyway

NO…Pressure will stay EXACTLY the same. What will change is the amount of tire contacting the road. Tire pressure doesn’t change with weight applied. Think about it. When you buy new tires…do they only fill the tire (while it’s off the vehicle) to a real low number then when they put the tire on the car…the psi is now correct? NO - PSI doesn’t change.