Tires should be rotated every oil change?

Just changed the oil two weeks ago and now the oil change light in ON again!
How often is the oil to be changed in a 2009 Camry hybrid? 3k or 5k?
When I was late changing the oil, and reset the change oil light, it illuminates according to the odometer. It does not start counting from the mileage when I reset it.

(Discount Tires kindly rebalanced the tires and rotated them free of charge.)

Check your owner’s manual. My “reminder” has two ways to set it, one to turn it off without resetting the mileage another to reset it back to “time zero”. I’d post it, but every time I need to do it I have to read the protocol over again. I can’t remember detail. I have it “tabbed” in my owner’s manual with a postit.

According to the schedule available from Toyota it’s every 5,000 miles. The shop that changes the oil on the '10 Prius put’s a little sticker in the window to remind when the oil change is due.

I have had several Toyotas over the years

I change my oil and filter every 5000 miles

I also rotate my tires every 5000 miles

Since I jack up the front end to change the oil, it’s only a little more work to also jack up the rear end and rotate the tires at that time

That’s my philosophy, for what it’s worth

^ Yes. I shall start doing that. Efficient!
I have been changing oil by straddling the gutter to gain more room.
I complely lost track of tire rotation intervals.
Have done it myself independently of oil changes.

It all depends on the car you drive and your habits. Driven easily, a rear drive vehicle can have tire rotations stretched out to twice a year with mileage over 5 k while a front driver driven a little more aggressively, 3 k is too short. Ideally, you check your tires with a wear gauge and rotate at the right time, regardless of miles or time. Just like oil changes, your use is a big determining factor. Because most drivers don’t own a tire tread depth gauge, let alone use one, 5 k and oil changes is just a convenient way. For me, it’s at the winter tire change over. Convenience rules over being fastidious some times. It’s also very important In getting free rotations as part of a tire buying package rather then paying a dealer…unless you are a grease monkey at heart with an air wrench (me) and like to impress the neighbors with your compressor.

I’m not a big fan of rotating tires except on AWD vehicles. On FWD, I use a tire depth gauge and rotate from front to rear, keeping the tires on the same side of the car so they do not change direction of rotation, when the tire tread depth on the front tires is down to about 6/32". The rears are usually at around 9/32". Now all tires will reach 4/32" at about the same time.

On RWD, I don’t rotate at all because all 4 wheels wear at about the same rate. Rotating the tires puts them in a different position where they get a different bite. Right after rotation, tire wear accelerates until the tire is worn down to match the bite at its new location. Its like changing the angle of the saw while cutting wood to get a better bite, you cut through the wood faster that way.

But on AWD, you have to consider the front/rear differential. From my experience, not rotating the tires give me about 15 to 20% more thread life. One an AWD, that savings will never cover the cost of replacing the center differential on an AWD. On AWD, I will sacrifice a little rubber.

I do like using a tread depth gauge on AWD as well and rotating the tires when there is a 1/32" difference in the tread depth although that usually works out to bout every oil change if you are doing oil changes every 7500 miles. You can go 2/32" but I like a little allowance for error.

Dagosoa, my problem is having loaned my torque wrench. Am I over-tightening the lug nuts?
So best to have Discount Tire, from whom the tires were purchased, do it
I always drive gently, even making wide-radius turns when possible to minimize tire scuff wear.
The only abuse is high speed, up to 120 mph, on clean, vacant interstates and highways.
Michelin M&S are T speed rated (118mph). 42 psi (44 psi max.)

Robert, my friend, you are pushing your luck. Big time.
120mph is dangerous enough. 120mph on T-rated tires is a death wish.

Robert

You need to get your torque wrench back

And don’t blindly trust that Discount Tire won’t overtighten/undertighten your lug nuts

Check it yourself after you get the vehicle back from the shop

I agree with mountainbike

You’re asking for trouble going so fast on those tires

The tires on my Camry are H-rated, for an even higher speed than your tires

And I don’t go above 75mph on the freeway

You need to put things in perspective, man!

120mph on the Camry speedometer is what true speed? 114?
Not sustained speed - must slow for curves, traffic, hills where the otherside cannot be seen,
(I assume a baby is crawling across the pavement beyond the crest.) any place where deer or elk may not be seen near the roadway.

After a delivery, I have felt the tires. Not even very warm.

The tore’s speed rating does not take into account turning forces, impact forces, load, or speedometer calculations. It is simply the maximum speed the tire can be relied upon to spin without exploding.

It’s good that the tires are still cool to the touch, but remember that they’re constantly being air cooled as they roll. It is not an indication that the speeds you’ve been traveling are safe.

One bump or one unexpected pothole at these speeds could cost you your life, even if you had Z-rated tires and the tires sustained no damage. Doing those speeds on those tires significantly increases that risk by adding a high possibility of catastrophic tire failure.

My friend, you are on the edge of death every time you do this.

Robert, please stop changing the subject

My tires are rated for higher speeds than yours

I drive a car

You drive an SUV, which is higher and more likely to tip over than a typical car

No offense intended to SUV drivers

The “true speed” on the speedometer is irrelevant

The fact that your tires don’t feel hot is irrelevant

You’re driving too fast

Your concern for others amd me is appreciated.
I look ahead to see that the surface is smooth - no pot holes or objects to hit, which could cause instant tire destruction and my destruction. If I can’t see for sure, I travel at a lower speed.

The high speeds are only briefly attained on straight and level open roadway.
No going around curves and putting lateral stress on the tires or vehicle.

It seems the Camry hybrid could easily go faster. Would be interesting to know its top speed but I would never try it.

Sometimes an oil light isn’t an oil light. Check your owner’s manual. Not too long ago, I saw the oil light come on in a friend’s Chevy Workhorse V8 camper, and I freaked out, thinking it was an indication of low oil pressure. It was the oil change reminder. Your oil change indicator might indicate the oil is too low, or something other than what you think it does.

As for the title of this thread, I think rotating the tires with each oil change is overkill. I end up getting my tires rotated every 15,000-20,000 miles, but I should probably do it more often. Every two or three oil changes, or every 10,000 miles, is a good interval for rotating the tires. It’s also a good interval for checking brake wear.

I get mine rotated with every oil change but that is only because the shop does it as a matter of course with the oil change.

If not transporting to a hospital, (I was this morning), I check the oil every Sunday morning when listening to Car Talk so that listening to Car Talk is not a total waste of time.
Discount Tire recommends tire rotation every 5,000 miles. They are not paid for their work, so why recommend it if not good for the tires.

I’m surprised that oil change places do not also rotate tires.

Discount Tires recommends rotating the tires every 5,000 mile because it is a loss leader, a chance to sell you other things like oil changes and air filters, and also new tires when the time comes.

"Discount Tires recommends rotating the tires every 5,000 mile because it is a loss leader, a chance to sell you other things like oil changes and air filters, and also new tires when the time comes."
Understandable, but I never see anyone buying anything from rotation visits. They HAVE caused me to become a loyal customer! I shall buy all tires from them just for all the work they have done. No one beats their prices, either. They do no oil changes or air filters. Only tire repair and replacement. (I think they also do siping, but I may be wrong about that.)