Tire pump deflates tires

I have a tire pump that lets the air out of tires when I put the nozzle on the tire valve. Does anyone know how I can fix this tire pump?

Is this a new tire pump, or have you had it for awhile?
If it is new, it is possible that the nozzle is defective, and that you can return the pump to the store.

Or, it is possible that you are not connecting it properly.
I suggest having another person try connecting the nozzle in order to see if it is defective or not. I say that because a friend of mine was in the exact same situation until I showed him how to attach the nozzle correctly. Now, no more problems of this nature for him!

If it turns out that this problem exists no matter who is using the pump, the only alternative is to replace the pump, as the hoses and nozzles of these devices are not serviceable on their own.

It is not a new tire pump. I used a newer version of the same brand of pump and it worked OK.

I mean, I do not know if it was a newer version of the tire pump but it had more features on it than the deflating pump.

If the inlet and outlet valves of the air pump have failed, no matter how hard the piston trys air will back flow. The valves have to be truely one way for the pump to compress air. You might see if the pump will build air pressure with your finger blocking the outlet nozzle.

Please describe your “tire pump”…12 volt, plastic housing, no storage tank, plugs into cigarette lighter? That kind of pump?

I would first replace the fitting on the end of the hose. See if that works.

It might be just the rubber washer that seals against the valve stem. Happened to me once. Easy to replace.

Are we talking a manual pump (like a bicycle pump) or a 12-volt compressor, or?

I wonder if this pump is a Washington pump that was not designed to inflate tires, but to deflate egos.

It is a manual pump serfas AIRBONES. I tightened up every thing that could be tightened up: the body, the fasteners at both ends of the hose, the end of the nozzle. It builds air pressure but it does not seem very strong. The nozzle appears to be in good shape.

12/28/14 edit: I was sitting down when I tried the air pressure. Once I stood up and tried the air pressure then the air pressure seemed stronger.

The seals may be bad. This bicycle floor pump is a few years old, right? I couldn’t find a pic, but did find a few negative reviews. Maybe time for a new one…

Mrs. Triedaq gave me an Airman air pump for Christmas that is shaped like an electric drill. It has a rechargeable 12 volt battery pack like a drill and a 12 volt adapter to plug into the cigarette lighter socket on a vehicle. To operate, you dial in the pressure, attach the airhose and pull the trigger. It looks like it would be great for bicycle tires. I don’t know if it has enough capacity for a car tire, but I have a Black and Decker “air station” (a gift from Mrs. Triedaq from more than 10 years ago) that is great for car tires. I haven’t had a chance to try out the new pump yet.

I did have a foot operated tire pump once. I was using it one time and the plastic cylinder split open with a bang rendering the pump useless. My guess is that your pump can’t be repaired.

There will be a check-valve in the base of the pump to prevent any back-flow into the pump cylinder…This valve is stuck open or broken…

My manual bicycle pump – it is a well known Japanese brand, cast iron, and quite costly when I bought it years ago – has the same problem when pumping up the rear tire of my mt bike, which I like to run at 70 pounds. It used to work fine until couple years ago. I took the pump to the bicycle shop and they said the problem was the leather “washer” inside the pump that was worn out. That washer is what seals the pump along the pump inside cylinder while you operate the pump. Sort of like piston rings do on a car. So when you push on the handle all the air is supposed to go into the tire, but if that washer leaks, some of the air escapes out of the top of pump instead, as you push the handle down. On my bicycle pump it has no problem pumping up the front tire to 50 pounds, but just can’t quite handle the 70 pounds for the rear.

I expect your pump has the same problem, but the above posts about the check valve, that could also be the problem. You might try contacting the manufacturer and see if they offer a pump rebuild kit. Otherwise, probably you’ll have to spring for a new pump.

Wow. I didn’t even realize anyone still pumped tires manually anymore.

This has strayed into the ridiculous zone. Replace the damn pump.

sgtrock I second the motion to replace pump.

I think it’s commendable that ArlHtsMelissa would like to repair something that is useful, but sometimes repairs aren’t possible or feasible. I’ve gone through a couple of hand or foot operated tire pumps over the last 65 years when I first started riding a bicycle. Some things are not made to be repaired.

It seems like a lot of useful technology to just throw away so I will just save it. Maybe, I will think of something useful for the broken pump.

Boy, when you can think of something useful other then cannibalizing with another pump to make one good one, let us know :wink: