Tire pump deflates tires

When I had, a foot pump where the plastic cylinder split open, I removed the guage, hose and nozzle before throwing it in the trash. A year later my father-in-law gave me a 12 volt compressor that I think was used to power the air horns on a semi tractor. I was a able to adapt the salvaged parts to the compressor. I purchased a pair of.battery clamps and a push button starter switch . This unit worked perfectly for inflating tires. It came in very useful about 2.a.m in the morning when my wife and I returned from a conference in a university vehicle. When we were transferring our possessions to our own car, we foind that the left rear tire on our car was flat. I connected my home made compressor to the battery of the university’s vehicle and inflated the tire. The tire held enough air to get us home and I didn’t have to add much air to get our car to the tire shop the next day. I think I still have that home made compressor someplace.

Be sure the new pump you replace it with has the proper valve. Bicycles use two different types of valves, Presta and Schrader. You need the correct nozzle for your valve type.

SERFAS has a web site and replacement parts. A bike shop that is a dealer could possibly repair it. Why don’t people use the web for stuff like this?

This is part of the world wide web.

edit: the discussion on “Low tire presure…what should be the correct pressure” prompted me to present the question.

ArlHtsMelissa, I don’t understand your last post. Can you explain?

@ArlHtsMelissa‌ I think is saying that this board is available to anyone, on the internet. We handle problems related to vehicles, and after solving these problems we tackle economic, political and social problems. We should feel flattered that she turned to us,for help.
If something can be repaired I am all for it. I have all kinds of things on my workbench awaiting repairs. In fact, there is a 25 year backlog. Unfortunately Mrs. Triedaq does not share my enthusiasm for repairing items. At her insistence, our artificial Christmas,tree just went to the,trash. Our 12 week old kitten that we adopted 8 weeks ago did a number on the tree and broke a couple of branches. I thought I could fix the branches, but Mrs. Triedaq,doubted that I would have it ready for Christmas of 2024.
At any rate, I admire ArlhtsMelissa for wanting to repair instead of replace.

Turns out I couldn’t find any parts on the Serfas web site made for this pump. So I’d just get a new one.

The last bike pump that didn’t work for me I unscrewed the top of the barrel pulled the piston out and oiled the (Leather?) cup at the bottom. worked fine the rest of the season. had to do that at least 2 times a season after that. But hey its a bicycle pump, they can be replaced fairly inexpensively.