Tire Pressire

Network execs probably thinking it would be hard to pull in the big ratings if that’s the type of content they aired. I see your point though. I never much cared for the “Gomer Pyle” tv show for that same reason.

Inaccuracy and trivialization are at the heart of most sitcoms.

3 Likes

Years ago I heard of a baby named Chlamydia.

1 Like

Who remembers the Chrysler Concord Commercial from 2001?

1 Like

Hahaha. Where was this commercial aired?
Was it really banned? By whom?
(When Concord, at first I was thinking Mile High Club.)

Must have been a bunch of real prudes, to ban it for something that was only inferred.

Apparently the Chrysler Concord commercial upset the "delicate sensibilities of a very Vocal Minority…

Here is a link to some of the irrational thinking…

1 Like

I think it is a stupid commercial but just seeing one for the 56 rambler, I can see why we have so many people with the title ambassador.

my birth name is Pinto.

My parents musta been flexible…

1 Like

Not going to get involved in politics on a Car Talk forum but I will say this about the Train Derailments, and I am NOT making light of the tragedy of what is going on in OHIO right now…
But derailments are nothing new at all…

“From 1990 to 2021 there were an average of 1,705 train derailments per year, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics and Federal Railroad Administration. In 2021, there were 1,087 train derailments , according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.”
" As it turns out, derailments are the most common type of train accident and they are not uncommon. Federal U.S. data shows there were 1,087 train derailments in 2021 — which averages to about three derailments each day ."

And have you every looked at flightradar24.com, there is a lot of planes in the sky…

" At any given moment there are about 5,000 commercial airplanes in the sky over the United States, shuttling people from home to work to grandkids who’ve long moved away. Now you can see them all, in real time, on a map"

“Depending on the time of day or time of year, there could be anywhere from 8,000 to 20,000 planes mid-flight at any given moment, according to Flightradar24, which keeps track of flights in real time.Nov 19, 2018”

I would think (I’m NOT an expert) as the worlds population grows so does air traffic but from 1982-2019 there has been a decline in crashes, so as planes increase in numbers I would guess that the chances of crashes and or near misses would be greater, the more you have of something the more chances for them to try to take up the same space…

Again, not getting into the political stuff here, just making a point about trains & plains… lol

Arriving at the blood center for an emergent transport, I noticed that the security woman’s Camry left rear tire appeared almost flat.

Called Security while driving and told her about her tires.
Said I’d bring our air compressor from home if called on another blood delivery.

Later called for a “ASAP” delivery.
Checking pressure, DiscounTire’s pencil tire pressure gauge did not move.

The air compressor tank got her tire inflated to 15 psi before empty. Plugged the compressor into an electrical outlet inside the facility and recharged while waiting for the blood to be boxed.
Inflated to 25 psi before tank/tire equilibrium.

Told her that her left front tire looked low.
She said that she belonged to Sam’s Club so I suggested she go there and have all tires inflated to the pressure shown on the label inside the driver door opening.

No goodeed goes unpunished:
On the way home, called for a stat transport.
Hauled that heavy compressor over a hundred miles before arriving home. Should have left it at the blood center.

Why would you burden your vehicle like that? I’d be surprised if you could even get to 60mph much less your usual 100+. Couldn’t have been that heavy, if you took it inside.

“ASAP” is driving normally.
Probably expended an additional ounce of gasoline to get it up the grade to the hospital.
As a registered tree-hugger and Greenie I am to burn as little gas and generate as little air pollution as possible.

Fortunately the air tank was depleted, so little extra air weight.

Back to tire pressure. Now that it turned 70 degrees out, my tires are running at 40# on the highway instead of 30. Gotta let some air out when they cool off, until fall.

Now it’s time to change out your winter air to summer air… :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

I think you’re referring to ‘dimensional analysis’, which is making sure the dimensions (the units) of your answer are correct. I remember a classmate at Caltech, a math major who didn’t care so much for all the science (2 years of physics and 1 year of chemistry were required, along with a total minimum of about half of required credits, even for English majors), who claimed he solved most of the problems with dimensional analysis.

I don’t remember Feynman teaching that course. He occasionally talked to general audiences, may have described it.

‘RandomTroll’ is a Caltech joke.

I used dimensional analysis to check my work for over 30 years as an engineer. This was especially important when I used unit conversions embedded in the calculations or when I did a calculation of the first time.

1 Like

Yes, that term is also used. One time I interviewed for a scientific job, had to pass a technical interview, and the interviewer wrote an equation on his note pad and asked me to solve it. I said “It can’t be solved”. The guy started to get a little upset. I pointed out that the equation he wrote down would have required the calculation of the inverse-sin(0.5 grams) … lol … the inverse-sin function’s argument has to be unit-less. I asked him to correct the equation.