Tire Pressire

There’s a couple of movies been made about that topic as I recall.

If a man see’s a cute girl, even if everything is above board, consensual, no telling what will happen.

Heh heh. Explain cute girl. Looks can be deceiving and too late once you find out for sure. Glad I’m not a teenager. :smile:

1 Like

Does that really require explanation? … lol …

If only everything with Crane’s ridiculously rancid lifestyle was that simple…
:thinking:

Kinda like sports figures, there are very few Hollywood actors you’d want much to do with. I really pay little attention to what the do or say.

Colonel Klink (Werner Klemperer) was Jewish; he agreed to play the role of a WW2 German prison camp commander only if he was portrayed as a complete idiot. I don’t think Klink being an idiot was in the original script. The writers liked the idea and wrote the role as Werner wished.

The cars and motorcycles in that show…ah man.

If you liked those vehicles, then I strongly recommend that you read The Devil’s Mercedes, the tale of the three 770k Mercedes limos that were brought back to The US, as “war booty”. One of them was actually Hitler’s parade car, but… which one?

When I have the time, I will start a new thread with some of the interesting details on those cars.

1 Like

There were several tv comedy series involving what were actually desperate war situations, McHale’s Navy, Phil Silvers & the like. I expect those shows got good ratings b/c they had likeable, personable comedy actors, and the shows provided a brief respite from what the viewers recalled of the past’s horrific reality.

Phil Silvers successfully morphed from a burlesque comedian to a featured player in lesser films, to his starring role in The Phil Silvers Show–aka, You’ll Never Get Rich. I think that the pinnacle of his career was his performance in It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, in which he played a scam artist driving a '48 (?) Ford, but who was outsmarted by a young kid, who manages to wreck his Ford by giving him bad directions.

As to McHale’s Navy, that asinine show was a real come-down for Ernest Borgnine, who had been a fine dramatic actor only a few years previously. Like some other actors, he did what he had to do in order to put food on the table, but his performances in McHale’s Navy were worthy only of a third-rate actor.

I have seen a lot of horrific ww 2 sites and have heard directly from many survivors. I am able to keep comedy and reality separate and don’t mind the shows at all. I used to watch them all the time and even as a kid knew reality based on adults. Just sayin is all if some are offended. To go off the deep end though now that I’m thinking about it, no one ever talks about the British rationing after the war-due ti inept politicians. One strip of bacon per week for example. People froze and starved to death. Then of course the same thing among the German population after the war. We adopted a city to provide food and clothing to help them survive. History affects my vote. But yeah I can separate reality from comedy.

VDC … you seem to have unusually strong opinions about tv war-comedy shows and their actors. Otherwise you seem a pretty easy-going, live and let live type of person. Explanation for the antipathy for war-comedy tv series?

There were some serious ones two that I just don’t remember. I think there was West Point and maybe combat or something. Just fuzzy like our tv back then.

One positive though was that at least the shows provided some knowledge of the war that might be lacking today. How a Midwest journalist could read world war eleven instead of two off her teleprompter says a lot for the level of education on the subject. Serious or comedy.

How about a comedy show that parodied said show by keeping the name Hogan’s Heroes but used likenesses of Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage and Rowdy Piper? “Robot Chicken Hogan’s Heroes” on youtube.

War-comedy shows were under discussion, hence my stated opinions regarding them.
If we were discussing other types of sit-coms, I would probably have similar opinions regarding the asinine nature of most of those shows, plus how some formerly-fine actors debased themselves in those shows in order to put food on the table.

Hard to say no to the kind of money that has been available for commercial TV.

2 Likes

Did you know one of the actors in “Hogan’s Heroes” has a tattoo on his left forearm, “A5714,” from his time in a German concentration camp during WWII.

Robert Clary better known as Cpl. Louis LeBeau passed away November 16, 2022

3 Likes

There was an obituary in yesterday’s newspaper about him. His parents and 10 siblings were murdered at Auschwitz. He was the only one that made it out alive. During his time on Hogan’s Heroes maybe he dreamed about meeting up with his real life sisters who worked with the French resistance while he was imprisoned.

2 Likes

The Nazi characters were all played by German and Austian Jews and Robert Clarey was an actual holocaust survivor who spent time in a concentration camp during WWII. Werner Klemperer only agreed to play the role of Colonel Klink if he could portray him as a bumbling idiot who was easily fooled. They believed that the best revenge was to ridicule and make fun of the Nazis.

2 Likes

Yes, but in the process, younger viewers saw a very inaccurate, trivialized version of the realities of war and all of its consequences.

If those poor misled kiddies turned on the nightly news, they got a dose of reality. As much reality as the media could cobble together anyway back then. Green guys bad, baby killers, deserved everything they got, resist resist.