Tire flat after tire change service

I recently had a tire change, all four summer tires into winter tires for my Toyota Highlander 07 including oil change. After the shop, I drove straight to my apartment and parked my car, that day was Saturday. Monday morning I woke up early as usual and when I approached my car I realized I have a flat tire on my rear passenger side. I checked other tires and they were fine. Then I noticed warning light such as “check engine” and “VSC” came out on my dashboard. I went to the shop, it was Tire Rama, they said those warning lights are not related to oil change and tire change. When I asked about the flat tire, they said it could be caused by a nail or something else. In my past, I had not a single flat tire or warning light after the service. I’m not an expert but my logic mind assumes that they screwed up with my car or it’s just a coincidence. I don’t know what to do, should I write a complaint … I need any opinion or advice.

A lot of details are missing here. You didn’t drive on the flat tire, did you? Did they fix the issue with the tire? If so, what did they do to fix it?

Regardless, if the check-engine light is still on, you want to have the codes read so that you can post them here. Auto parts stores in most states will do this for free.

There is nothing a shop does during an oil change and tire change that should cause a check engine light to come on. On many cars the VSC system will be turned off if the check engine light is on.

The cause for the flat tire can’t be determined without the tire being examined.

One of the famous old Greeks once declared that because women had smaller mouths that men, they would logically have fewer teeth. Logic is a poor second to observation when finding truth.

I didn’t drive on a flat tire, I changed it to spare tire and drove to the shop to find what caused a flat tire. Mechanics couldn’t figure out why it got flat he said everything looks good and he doesn’t know what caused a flat tire. He just inflated it. Then, he checked a ‘check engine’ light through a computer and found a code. The code indicates that I need to replace a rear oxygen sensor for a new one.

Sounds like it is just a coincidence. O2 sensors do go bad. As far as the tire, keep an eye on it, check pressure often (before you drive ir) it may have a slow leak they missed.

1 Like

+1
… and the OP should consider the possibility that somebody deflated his/her tire as a prank.

1 Like

The OP should consider that if he had the summer tires taken off the wheels and the winter tires put on those same wheels, that the leak was the result of a random lack of seal - it happens. It sounds like it has been fixed.

I can solve half of the mystery. I also have an 07 Highlander and every time I swap the 3-season tires for the winter Blizzaks (or vice versa) I have to manually reset the TPMS system (which is an indirect system in that vehicle, meaning no in-tire sensors). The system takes about 15 miles to notice the difference in tire diameters before it gives the false positive. The little button is under the dash near your left leg, but to properly reset it there a few steps. See owners manual. I put a paperclip on that page years ago. The flat is not something I can help with, but it sounds like the shop screwed up the install.