Tire chains for driving out to California from the midwest (2016 Mercedes E-250)

Call the Mercedes dealer as there is a good chance that chains are not recommended for your vehicle or that info may be in your owners manual.

1 Like

@weekend-warrior and @Renegade and @VOLVO-V70 excellent points, all. Sounds like hotel is the better option if needed. Yes, I am concerned about not having put chains on before. Let me see if I can find tire socks, they are not available in the local Autozone. However, we can buy them on the road, there are a few cities before California.
So, sounds like I should replace the left rear tire with the DriveGuard. It is unfortunate because I specifically asked the local tireshop about whether I should be concerned that we would end up having different tires on the car. Of course, this was in early June, but still, I would have liked to know about winter too.

Another thing what would you do with the chains when you get back home just take up space ?

86 posts . Good Greif , just fill the fuel tank and put some of that magic diesel blue stuff in the trunkin case it is hard to find and hit the road. Thousands of people just jump in the vehicles and take off on trips all the time without hardly any preparation.

2 Likes

Though I ran into snow in El Paso, the temperature was in the 60s when we arrived. Front came in during the night and dropped 6 inches of snow. Chances are you will not encounter any snow on I-10.

Btw, @VOLVO-V70, I asked the dealer: he does not know. He was concerned about the front tires not having space between the tires and the strut, which seems reasonable. He did not think that the rear wheels would have problems.

So, I read the manual. Found it online too, from the Mercedes website. Anyway, it appears that chains are allowed and should only be put on the rear wheels. There appear to be chains (nowadays) made of plastic too. Don’t know if they are any good.

I am considering taking the tire sock route and found that the sock for me is Autosock 685, but the pictures (that make it look like just a cover on the wheel) make a layman like me wonder if that thing really provides traction. I am assuming that they are not one-time deals and can be used later also, so I guess that my question is if also if it would work to cross Donner or Snoqualmie Pass (I-90) in the future?

Don’t be afraid of chains/cables, they’re easy to learn, but treat them with respect.

The CA (Caltrans) requires that all vehicles carry APPROVED chains/cables/other traction devices in specified zones (passes, higher elevations) in winter - fines if you get caught w/o them, see their website for details. Chain Controls / Chain Installation | Caltrans
You only have to mount them when they say so (often with posted signs) which usually is during snowfall and until the road is cleared, and also any time you feel you need them. Roads will have wide areas near these signs for chain changing, and sometimes on more traveled roads there may be crews who will put them on for you (for a fee), but one can’t count on that, especially when it’s time to remove them.

The car’s owners manual might specify only certain types of chains (or cables), some cars have limited clearances and require one of several low profile types. I prefer snow cables - the “Z” type with diagonal elements over the tread work very well, but with some cars their inner circumferal cable interferes with the strut mountings (our 2006 Civic is an example). “Ladder” style cables where the traction elements go directly across the tread generally have larger diameter circumferal cables that clear the struts.

The CA speed limit is 25mph or 30mph when using chains/cables and it’s wise honor that so as not to break the chains or lose control, though people going much faster will pass you (and you might see some of them later in ditches).

Get your chains before you go and practice putting them on in your driveway, driving back and forth a bit, check for clearance all around, over the top and inside, factoring for suspension travel. Read the instructions. The connecting ends often are too long, it’s best to cut off most of the excess (especially on the inside) allowing an extra link or two for difficult fits, or bring wire and pliers to secure the excess - you don’t want loose ends flying around as they can rip up fenders and snag brake lines in no time. Carry something like a floor mat or piece of carpet to kneel/lie on, gloves, waterproof jacket, etc. - it can be messy. After mounting, drive a short distance for them to adjust themselves on the tires and retighten if you can. This will all be in the instructions. Be sure the road side is down (or the outside is out) and there are no twists. Stop asap if they start clunking against the car, usually if something comes loose or breaks, though in 50 yrs in the Sierra with hundreds of miles on chains we’ve never had a problem. It’s wise to have at least 6/32in. of remaining tread - the unchained tires need snow traction, too. On 2WD drive cars put chains on the drive wheels, and it helps with control to put them on all 4 wheels (if they have clearance and the manual doesn’t prohibit it). On AWD cars follow the owners manual, some specify two wheels only.

There are traction systems that wrap around from the outside, with no inside cables. These are convenient and work, but are expensive. From time to time manufacturers have made traction devices of plastic, but they’ve generally broke within a few miles and soon disappeared from the market - they might be perfected sometime, but I won’t be the first to try them and cables work fine.

@ken2116 thank you for the detailed advice. Unfortunately, I just ordered Autosocks. The manual
does not say much about types of chains needed. I found this site which indicates that I should get something of this kind:
chains for mercedees e-250
Only three are tire cables.

However, as suggested, I think that checking the weather and obviating the need for chains is perhaps my best option. Hopefully, this would not be for days and would be my best option, since I have no control over other drivers.

Btw, from the manual, I found:

Only mount tires and wheels of the same type and make.

Exception: it is permissible to install a different type or make in the event of a flat
tire. Observe the "MOExtended tires (tires with run-flat characteristics" section
(Y page 272).

So, it sounds like different tires in the rear might be OK?

why do you get so cranky about people using this discussion board to discuss things?

granted that I may never need snow chains or socks where I live, I have learned some things from this discussion about them. (heck, I didn’t know what a snow sock was before yesterday
)
Absolutely nothing wrong with people sharing and discussing ideas.

If you don’t like it, or if it frustrates you, perhaps you should refrain from opening the posts. It gets quite old watching you try to chase people away form here.

my $.02 for today.

Some states REQUIRE snow chains for some of the mountain passes. But in general they aren’t allowed because of the damage they do to the roads.

Truck Chain Requirements | Caltrans

Sorry to come here again, but it appears that the EL-400s have a warranty life of 40k miles. Since we are at 33k, I wonder if we should replace the other three (or all four, including the DriveGuard). Given that the preferred Michelins do not seem to be available, what would be the best run-flat recommendation? Thanks!

from what I have read online, the Driveguard is a all-weather run flat tire.

@weekend-warrior, thanks, but is it a good enough tire?

Yes

here is the info. you can search the reviews. I never had these tires.

Bridgestone DriveGuard | 245/45RF17 (tirerack.com)

Btw, I just measured it and the tread depth of the Touranza tires are at least 3/16". I am quite confused about replacement. So sorry about this.

Tire Specs Explained: Tread Depth | Tire Rack

the Touranza’s are almost at the time to replace them-2/32
you need run flats because you do not have a spare.
you cant get the Michelins in time for your trip, so they are out.
you bought the tire socks
you have one new Driveguard which is a run flat and all-season tire.
so just get 3 more. use the tire socks if you need
enjoy your trip

Thanks, that is what I have decided based on reading the material you sent.

One short of 100, perhaps @VOLVO-V70 can help with that:-)

Thanks to everyone again, I have learnt a lot,including of course tire socks, cables, ladder-types, and so on.

Just adding and old saying, better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.