Timing marks on camshaft for a 04 jetta bbw model engine

i have a 04 jetta with timing belt failure. while trying to replace and get camshaft back in time i cannot find a timing mark on camshaft gear as usual. AM I MISSING SOMTHING OR JUST BLIND???

Oh and another thing is can i do this myself or does this “requrie many speacial tools” as per dealership?

Yes, special tools might be needed. What engine?

2.0 bbw.

Gotta luv those German engineers. They can make a simple task super difficult, just for kicks.

This engine doesn’t use timing marks, but does use a slot buried underneath the plenum and valve cover to lock the camshaft in place at TDC. A Haynes manual seems to have the procedure. Here’s a thread on a VW forum I found.

BTW, this is not uncommon for Euro-zone autos. I did a head gasket on a Volvo for my cousin. The DOHC’s needed to be aligned with an alignment bar fitted to slots on the back of the camshafts. The cam sprockets had no marks, but had elongated bolt holes to allow for adjustment to the belt. The technique was to use the bar to lock the camshafts at TDC, lock the crankshaft at TDC, then set tension on the belt and tighten down the cam sprockets to set the cam timing.

Is this particular engine code not an interference fit? If it’s not a free-wheeler then lining up marks and installing a new belt is a pointless exercise.

Maybe it is worth the time to find a VW shop manual for this make/model/year , if you want to do this yourself that is. With dual overhead cams especially, where the timing belt runs over each one, it has to be done correctly, making sure there is no slack at all, otherwise the valve timing won’t be correct and the car won’t run well. Alternatives to the VW shop manual would be the MOTOR manuals or the AllData computer database for car maintenance procedures and specs. It is likely that at least one of these sources is available at your local public library. Probably worth the time to take a visit there.

The VW 2.0L BBW engine is an interference engine.

It’s going to need more than just a timing belt.

Tester