Timing Chain

I had to replace the chain tensionor 3 times. I would like to know if that is a common problem with the 2.2L engines. Also does anybody know how the chain is oiled while in operation.

How many miles on the current tensioner? How many miles on each of the prior tensionors? who did the replacement? (Dealer, quick oil change place? Local independent mechanic that you and or your friends have prior experience?

What year is your car? Is it the 2.2 ecotec engine or the older ohv 2.2?

Im sorry to took so long to respond. I have a 99 Pontiac Sunfire. The tensioner has been replaced 3 times in the past 2 years. For some reason something is tearing it up. The dealer fixed it twice and pep boys the 3rd time. The tensioner keeps going bad and throwing off the timing. The dealer stated they have never heard of this problem. I have the car up and running again but am not sure if the repair will last.

Here’s what it says when replacing the timing chain tensioner: IMPORTANT! Before removing the timing chain, measure the distance between the hole on the bracket for the tensioner and to an unworn section of the tensioner shoe. If it measures more than 8MM (.314 in), replace the timing chain, the timing chain tensioner, and both sprockets.

Tester