93 Pontiac timing chain noise

We own a Grand Am with a 2.3L, 4 cyl engine that just turned over 200K mile. In Dec 07 it had the timing chain , gears, guides and tensioner replaced because the chain was making a racket. Five months (approx 2500 miles)later the noise was back–the tensioner was changed. Two weeks later the noise was back and the tensioner changed again. And now, another two weeks later the noise has returned. Oil pressure controls the tensioner action, and the oil pressure is normal for the car. With each tensioner change the oil was changed and each time the oil has been free of debris or sludge. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

which? 2.3l engine,D,A,OR 3 series?

What was wrong with the tensioner each time they changed it?? Yes it was noisy…but was there a visible sign of a problem? If so what was it??

2.3l engine with a single overhead cam. According to our shop manual, the D, A, and 3 engine all have the same internal configuration.

According to the repairman who replaced the tensioner the second and third time, the tensioner was not extending all the way out and keeping the chain tight. The first time, the repairman used the shotgun approach and replaced everything associated with the timing chain.

2.3l engine with a single overhead cam. According to our shop manual, the D, A, and 3 engine all have the same internal configuration.

I just bought a 93 Pontiac Grand Am and im having the exact same problem but i just started noticing mine. and im at 160k miles. i would really like to know what to do with this.

Sounds to me like a design flaw. There might be an aftermarket solution.

Well, ours is back in the shop again and we’ll see what they come up with, if anything. We are wondering if it is okay just to drive it like that, with the noise, as long as nothing breaks inside. So far we have $1,000 invested, but it is still cheaper than buying a new car. The car runs great otherwise and we get 30 miles to the gallon.

Yea ours the same… It drives fine and everything works awsome on it just that stinkin noise just makes you almost cringe when you start the car. Please do i would really like to fix the problem too if its not too expensive. Thanks again Dreamer55

UPDATE:
Okay, our car has been repaired and seems to be running quieter than the first time it was fixed. The first repair service supposedly changed all of the parts in the timing system, but the repairman made the comment that he received one part that was “the right box but the wrong part inside.” That would indicate that he bought the parts piece meal. The second repair service bought a timing KIT and replaced all of the same parts as the first repair service, but because they were a KIT, they were possibly more compatible with each other. (Repair Service No. 1 used Discount Auto Parts; Repair Service No. 2 used Napa Auto Parts.) Two possible problems were found by the second repair service: 1) the timing chain installed by the first repair service was 1/4" longer than the Napa part; and 2) the bottom gear for the timing chain appeared to have a defect. The Napa timing chain would not fit on that gear, but it fit fine on the Napa gear (the one that came with the kit). Unfortunately, it seems that the only way you can know what’s causing your problem is to replace all of the timing chain components which will cost from $400-$500. Hope this helps! GOOD LUCK!!

UPDATE:
Okay, our car has been repaired and seems to be running quieter than the first time it was fixed. The first repair service supposedly changed all of the parts in the timing system, but the repairman made the comment that he received one part that was “the right box but the wrong part inside.” That would indicate that he bought the parts piece meal. The second repair service bought a timing KIT and replaced all of the same parts as the first repair service, but because they were a KIT, they were possibly more compatible with each other. (Repair Service No. 1 used Discount Auto Parts; Repair Service No. 2 used Napa Auto Parts.) Two possible problems were found by the second repair service: 1) the timing chain installed by the first repair service was 1/4" longer than the Napa part; and 2) the bottom gear for the timing chain appeared to have a defect. The Napa timing chain would not fit on that gear, but it fit fine on the Napa gear (the one that came with the kit). Unfortunately, it seems that the only way you can know what’s causing your problem is to replace all of the timing chain components which will cost from $400-$500. Hope this helps! GOOD LUCK!!

Hey thanks so much… i have worked on my 93 toyota and replaced the motor and trany. With your information and my stupidity and a user manual im going to attempt the project in my garage. Thanks again so much. I appreciate the information and knowledge you have exchange. Devon