Timing chain 97 Plymouth Voyager

How often does the timing chain, (and it is a chain), need to be replaced? I can’t find anything that tells me other than if the car starts running poorly.

A bad timing chain makes noise. If it doesn’t make any noise, its probably fine. Chains often last the life of the motor. Your mechanic can pull the valve cover off and look down inside the engine and check the timing chain tensioner. Otherwise, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Which engine? If its a 3.3 or 3.8 liter engine, you should only need a new timing chain when you rebuild the engine.

Agree; they last along time. The only time and lowest lowest mileage I ever replaced one was 160,000 miles on a small block Chevy.

Sorry. I forgot that piece of information. It is a 3.3. Nothing sounds bad with the engine right now. I was just concerned because I have over 200,000 miles on it.

Timing chains break or jump off the sprockets when the teeth get worn. I believe the auto comanies/mechanics are doing the public a disservice by fostering the idea that timing chains last the life of an engine. I know 2 people with GM 3.8 L engines where the timing chain broke and ruined the engine; both cars had less than 150k miles.

About 35 years ago my 1964 Buick V-6 jumped time at 80k miles. Didn’t do amy damage other than quit running instantly. The plastic timing gears had lost all their teeth and the chain jumped.