Timing Belt Change for 2002 Honda Civic DX

My car had its first timing belt change around 100,000 miles and it’s about to hit 160,000. Do I change it again now? For some reason, I remember hearing that I should do the first change at 90,000, and the following changes every 60,000 miles.

It should be listed in the owner’s manual. The more likely numbers are:

1st change at 60,000 because many manufacturers were using belts and other parts rated for 60,000. Many have redesigned the belt and other parts to go for 100,000 miles between changes. My 2002 VW original is 80,000 and the current replacement is 100,000.

Note: there is also a time specification. You need to replace them when ever miles OR time is reached.

Since the car is only 6 years old, I’m sure the time limit hasn’t been reached. I’ve been going by the miles. I recall my manual saying something like 105,000 and then every 60,000 miles thereafter, but that seemed odd, which is why I posted the question. My car gets inspected this month, and I’ll ask the mechanic when I take the car in. It’s a reputable, independent place, not the dealer.

Rather than just trusting your memory or trusting some possibly incorrect advice, why not just re-read what it says in your manual?

The people who designed and built your car are the best source of information, and luckily that information should be in your glove compartment.

The replacement interval does not change with age. It is the same miles or time, depending on what the owner’s manual says, regardless of the vehicle’s age or mileage.

If the owner’s manual says the first timing belt replacement is at 90K miles, then the second timing belt replacement is at 180K miles, and the third replacement is at 270K, etc.

Get your owner’s manual out of the glove box and read it. It will tell you all you need to know to correctly maintain your car.

I was trying to say that it was unlikely that my car would reach the time specification before it reached the mileage specification for replacement and maintenance because there are so many miles on the car already and it is only 6 years old. I guess that just came out wrong. I downloaded the manual, and it says to change it every 110K miles unless driving in severe conditions, which I am not. Thanks for encouraging me to dig it out/google it, because now I don’t have to worry about shelling out a ton of money in the near future. I just have to get it to pass inspection.

Well, then you’re good to go to roughly 220,000 miles as far as the timing belt goes.

Your driving style seems to reach miles before time. Fine, nothing wrong with that. It’s mileage or time, whichever comes first, and whichever comes first doesn’t matter, as long as you follow the schedule.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy your Honda for many more miles.

For the 7th Generation Civics, Timing belts should be changed at 100K intervals for the life of the car. Your next one is due at 200K, and be sure to change the water pump, alternator/AC and Power Steering belts as well.