Timing-belt replacement frequency

I have a 99 Honda Civic. I followed the manual and replaced my timing belt at 60,000 miles. It says to do it again at 105,000 miles…and than again at like 115,000 miles. Do I really need to do this sooooo frequently???

I think that you need to re-read that maintenance schedule.
60k was likely the correct interval for the first replacement, which means that it is next scheduled at 120k, and then 180k.
Where did you come up with the information that it needs to be replaced at 105k and then again at 115k?

However, you have to also consider the elapsed time factor.
That first interval was likely expressed as "60k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first".
Then, the next interval would be 120k miles or 10 years (from the date of purchase, not from the date of the first timing belt replacement), whichever comes first.
And so on…

Re-read your maintenance schedule.

No, you misunderstood the manual. The manual has two different service schedules, one for “normal service” and one for “severe service.” The “normal” replacement interval for the timing belt is 105k miles, and the “severe” service interval is 60k miles.

Most people’s driving falls under the “normal” category. If you fall in that category, I’d replace the belt every 100k miles (or at the recommended time limit, which is something like 8 years, whichever comes first).

The correct interval is every 8yr/105,000 miles for a 99 Honda. So if you did it at 60k then its due at 165,000 miles.

I drive in NYC, so I mostly follow the “severe” driving schedule.

I will look at the manual again, but I do indeed believe it does say to do it at 60k, 105k, and again at either 115k or 125k.

if I am correct, this would be a mistake in the manual…right?

Yes, then the manual is mistaken. Do it every 60k miles and you’ll be fine.

That Owner’s Manual Probably Lost Something Being Translated From Asian Instructions. I Used To Buy Asian Firecrackers With Instructions That Said, “Lay On Ground, Light Fuse, Retire Quickly.”

I could always picture somebody getting comfortable on the ground, lighting the fuse, and then going to sleep.

CSA