Timing belt and water pump issue with Hyundai Santa Fe 2005 (3.5 GLS V6)

Hi,
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe 2005 (3.5 GLS V6). It’s milage is close to 120K. I guess I need to change the Timing belt. However, when I am approaching the repair shops for the same, they are insisting that I should also change the water pump. So after reading some of the online forums (which confirms what the shop told me) I gather that it is better to change the water pump. However, they are charging me somewhat in the vicinity of $1200 for both. But online I saw the the parts cost around $160 (for timing belt) and $60 for water pump, and the labor costs max $600 (approx). So together it should cost me not more than $900. But then why are they charging $1200 (approx) ? I live in Pittsburgh, PA.
Any suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Parts prices and quality vary greatly, most shops do not want to install cheap parts and risk having to do the job twice due to a parts failure. Call a few shops in your area and see how the prices compare.

^

Plus–believe it or not–it is also a good idea to get a price quote from a Hyundai dealership.

I can’t guarantee that this applies to Hyundais, but I can tell you that Honda dealers frequently charge no more than a reasonably-priced indy garage for timing belt replacement, and in some cases they have charged less than an indy mechanic.

check Mechanics Files link and call around. Should be less $1k.

The labor to replace the water pump on that vehicle is 7 hours, How low is the labor rate in Pittsburgh?

The shop is selling the parts at retail, not necessarily using the cheapest parts and should also be replacing the timing belt tensioner and possibly the cam seals.

Get more estimates. I got 3 for my Accord and the least expensive was the Honda dealer. They changed the timing belt, water pump, coolant, and serpentine belt for $700. There is no way it should cost more in Pittsburg than Central Maryland where I live. I changed the timing belt in September 2013 and inflation is not that high. BTW, the water pump on Hondas requires removing the timing belt to get to it. If that is the same thing with your Hyundai, then you definitely should change the water pump too.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I will definite check with Hyundai dealership here.Thanks once again

I spent 1k for the timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, 2 drive belts, and coolant for a 2006 Sienna. It would have been 1.2k if the camshaft seals needed replacing. I asked around work for good independent shop to do the job. The shop provided a written estimate before the work was started. My regular mechanic doesn’t do timing belts and I did not have a lot of confidence in the dealer. I might have found a cheaper price, but a timing belt is not something to cheap out on.

Ed B.

A relative had this work done at a dealership and it came to just under $1000. They live in a small town and I advised them to use the dealership for best results.

On a 10 year old Hyundai with 120,000 miles you don’t GUESS you should change it; you are 3 years overdue and fortunately that the belt is still working!!

You really cannot go about this in the manner that you are. I understand you are trying to get a good deal on this Service item. Here is what you should do… Call the Dealership to see what a COMPLETE TIMING BELT SERVICE costs on this vehicle.

COMPLETE MEANING… Timing Belt, T-Belt Tensioner, Idler Bearings, Camshaft Seals, Front Crank/Main Seal and WATER PUMP. MAYBE a valve cover gasket as well if it needs to be removed.

MOST SHOPS have different opinions on what COMPLETE MEANS. Some IDIOTS out there just replace the TIMING BELT ITSELF!!! To do the job ONE TIME AND CORRECTLY…You will need to replace ALL of what I just outlined above. IF the parts are NOT OEM or directly from the dealer then they are AFTERMARKET…AND YES THERE IS A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE… BOTH IN PRICE AND IN QUALITY.

Since I do my own work…I tend to buy the best or “Better” level of parts available. I AVOID ANY AND EVERYTHING MADE IN CHINA LIKE THE PLAGUE and you should as well.

Call the Dealer and get a price…this is a price quote USING THE OEM QUALITY PARTS that came on the vehicle… Yes this will be expensive.
Then call 2 or 3 Independent shops and MAKE SURE you are getting a quote Apples to Apples. Then go from there… The job on this vehicle may be difficult or ez…I have done a few and I forget to be honest.

You cannot go out there on the net like YOU ARE DOING…and See LOW LOW Prices on the parts for this job and then figure in Labor… THE PARTS YOU ARE LOOKING AT ARE MADE IN CHINA AND ARE BASICALLY DOG POOP SHAPED AND PAINTED TO LOOK LIKE ENGINE PARTS… THEY ARE WORTHLESS. You are misleading yourself. TRUST ME…YOU DO NOT WANT THE EL CHEAPO PARTS FOR THIS SERVICE…THAT WOULD DO YOU NO FAVORS EITHER

IT SEEMS LIKE you are trying to save money. You MIGHT be able to work with a local shop to get this done…MOST SHOPS DO NOT want to do this…just beware. But if I wanted to save money and could NOT do the work myself (A Nightmare scenario for me) I would go and buy ALL the HIGH QUALITY PARTS I NEEDED…an then find a shop who is willing to install all the goodies for me… That is how you could possibly save some money while still getting the high quality parts…AND YES THE PART QUALITY IS AN ISSUE…ESP WITH CHINA FLOODING THE MARKET WITH PAINTED DOG POOP PARTS LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN DOING

Most shops will tell you to go screw yourself however…bec they make money on choosing their own parts…this can be dicey…you DO NOT WANT CHINA MADE PARTS…I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENUF

The reason you are seeing such a price disparity is because of the part quality…thats why it would be best to buy the best parts and then shop around for labor. You have basically opened the can of worms that is the price game these places play…dont get to deep into that. YES there will be WILD differences in prices.

But you can level the playing field by Outlining the EXACT items to be replaced…Bec shops will play with this as well…what does and doesnt get replaced and also what quality parts to use.
SO…YOU GO BUY THE BEST PARTS…AND FIND A SHOP TO INSTALL THEM FOR YOU… That seems to be what you are heading toward anyway. Otherwise you will def see all these prices all over the place.

BLACKBIRD