Replacing a Timing Belt

Hello.
Can someone give me a reasonable price of what it would cost to replace a Timing Belt?
Thanks inadvance.

This largely depends on where you live. Visit/call several shops and ask. In addition there are there are other variables, going the “cheap” route and replacing the belt only, or including the tensioner, to replacing the water pump at time of service.

1 Like

Hi:
We’d be able to help you much more if you could share:

• the make, model, and year of the car.
  • engine size
  • mileage
  • last time the timing belt was replaced (if it ever was), and if the water pump was replaced.
  • the price(s) you’ve been quoted

Thank you.

4 Likes

It completely depends on the vehicle type, model, make, etc.

I gather yours is a Honda.

We’ve had the timing belt changed on our Honda Odyssey minivan in the past for around $700. Since we don’t know what type of car you have, though, that price may or may not apply.

Somewhere between $350 and $1,000 depending on what engine you have.

4 Likes

I paid $700 in 2012 for an Accord V6 to change the timing belt, water pump, coolant, and serpentine belt. That was at my local dealer. You need to add something for inflation over the six years since then. Call a few places, including the dealer, and find out what they charge. I had estimates up to $1200 including idlers and oil seals. The dealer told me they would inspect the idler and oil seals, only replacing if needed. They did not replace them. I added another 80,000 trouble free miles before I sold the car.

It depends on the car.

On my I-4 ‘98 Honda Civic, I can get it done for around $500 with a new water pump included.

On my mother’s V-6 ‘02 Toyota Sienna. It was more than $1,100 for the same job. There is a lot more labor involved and a more complicated kit.

Someone posted here once that their Honda dealer was in the ball park pricewise. With them you’d know they’d use high quality parts and that they are very familiar with the job on your engine - more likely to do it well without complications.

Yes, it depends on the car. I always say to have ANYTHING that touches the timing belt or where the belt would have to come off in order to service should be changed at the same time. The one exception might be the oil seals, especially if they aren’t leaking and it is the first belt change.

I always change the water pump and idlers myself, especially on an interference engine. Remember that if something locks up, even with a new belt, you can end up with a trashed engine.

I have a covorker who maintains his Accord at his local dealer, and the maintenance costs he pays seem to be very competitive to compare to non-dealers. I would not hesitate to get 2-3 quotes, including at your dealer place.

1 Like

Bear in mind that Honda dealers will often just change the belt. They will look at the tensioner/pulleys/water pump and if they think they’re in good condition, they won’t change them.

Personally, I think that’s nuts. It’s not enough that it’s in good condition now. It needs to be in good condition 105,000 miles from now. Best to start with a new part, because it’s gonna suck if you drive another 50,000 miles and a pulley seizes and makes the belt jump time or break and now you get to buy a new engine.

Oftentimes, though you should verify this, the independent shop includes changing the associated hardware in its quote, so the dealer might seem to be competitive but really, you’re getting less for your money.

1 Like

With any quote, it’s important to know exactly what parts and procedures are included.

2 Likes

That’s quite a claim to make. I sure hope you can back it up with more than an anecdote about one corrupt dealership’s service department, because if that’s all you’ve got, I’ve got the same that disproves your claim.

That’s true. I always make sure the shop is using the full kit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/2exp54/07_acura_tl_32l_base_timing_belt_tensioner_change/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/7lkjmq/honda_engine_idler_pulley_broke_timing_belt/

https://slickdeals.net/f/6105652-honda-acura-timing-belt-service-special-for-389-95-in-dmv-area?page=6

If you look a few posts up, you will see my post where I said that the dealer changed the water pump, but did not change the tensioner/pulley/oil seals. The car still ran very well 6 years and 80,000 miles later when I sold it.

Good point! Thanks for your input

A timing belt job is a routine thing shops do all the time & doesn’t require a dealership, so if cost is a concern you can save a few dollars by using a well recommended inde shop rather than a dealership. I expect you’ll be looking at $700 - $1200 invoice there. The replacement belt itself isn’t very inexpensive, but it takes quite a bit of mechanics time to do that job. That’s why it usually makes sense to replace other stuff in that area opened up during the timing belt procedure that may be near the end of its service life at the same time, like the water pump, tensioner, camshaft and crankshaft seals.

That’s true! My problem is that my 2001 honda civic has so much rust that I don’t know if I want to make that kind of investment, since my dream retirement vehicle is a conversion van.

Thank you for your input!