Timing belt

What is the cost for parts and labor to replace a timing belt on a 2004 hyundai xg350? I live in New Jersey and the car dealer service dept quoted me $900.00. Seems a little excessive to me since the part only costs $87. How many hours of labor are involved? They also want to change the water pump while they are at it.

It may be 50-75% that cost on an independent. Call around.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

$900 does seem excessive…but it’s still going to cost you at least $500. Replacing a timing belt is NOT a trivial job. Find a good independent for ALL your work. They’re usually cheaper and as good or better. And it’s usually a good idea to replace the water-pump if it’s driven off the timing belt…or you have to remove the belt to replace the pump at some future date. The cost of the pump is trivial compared to the labor involved to replace it.

Yes also do waterpump.

Unless I’m misreading Gates, this seems to be an interference engine with a timing belt driven waterpump http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598

If so, the waterpump probably should be replaced I think. It would really be a downer to have the waterpump seize up (it happens) and destroy the timing belt which, in turn wrecks the engine.