Time for Timing belt?

nissan
altima

My 2002 Nissan Altima has 64K miles on the odometer. Is there a timing belt/chain on this car and does it need to be replaced?

Did you look at your owners manual??

If you have a belt then it will be in the owners manual along with the mileage/time interval in which it should be changed. But check your owners manual first.

look at your engine…if theres a plastic cover on the front of the engine near the front pulleys…you have a BELT…your metal valve cover will end short of the front of the engine and in its place will be a black plastic cover…if you have the cover you have a belt

I just looked it up and it looks like you have a CHAIN…so

If there’s a timing belt, it’ll be mentioned in the maintenance schedule in your owner’s manual.

Yes, if it has a belt it is time to change it based on 8+ years of driving. If the manual does not mention a Timinhg Belt, it probaly has a chain. Our 1994 Nissan has a chain.

Did you even look at your manual before posting? I ask because I wonder what people think that book is for if not this.

Many cars this old are with their 2nd owner. Usually the owners and maintenance manual are in the bottom of a landfill…

Your car has a timing chain, not a belt. Generally good for the life of the car, aside from that occasional oddball that breaks a chain guide.

Anyway, no maintenance needed unless there’s excessive noise.

All cars have either a timing belt, a timing chain, or timing gears. Yours has a chain. No regular maintenance necessary to maintain it, outside of regular oil changes.

Thanks for that advice. Silly of me not to have done that, but I’m not car saavy and have a lot of difficulty interpreting this kind of stuff, but will take your suggestion to heart before I post.

I would like to thank all those who did give me a reasonable answer, and it seems that the timing " chain " doesn’t have to be replaced on this vehicle. I’ve been trying to check it with a Nissan dealer, but strangely enough, I get differing answers/opinions.