"tik", "tik" sound soon after (don't have to be cold start) starting the car and goes away?

Why consult a master of ceremonies?

4 Likes

Nope. It’s this:

1 Like

Hey, this seems to have worked - at least the last 10days.

I changed the Sparks and I have not heard it again. Hopefully its fixed.

Aren’t new sparks generated as the engine runs?

1 Like

Sparks are stored in a container right next to the blinker fluid.

3 Likes
  • The tik, tik sound is that of AC clutch. It happens at very low speed - say I stop the car and then reverse, but not always.
  • When hearing the sound if i turn off the AC, the sound stops.
  • Also there is no cooling at the idle speed, say stop sign. Refrigerant was recently charged.
    What seems the issue? Its a 1999 Acura Integra with 141k miles.

The idle speed and the code P0505 has not happened since I cleaned the throttle body and changed the spark.

Sounds like the A/C compressor clutch is chattering a bit. That could be due to an incorrect refrigerant charge, an iffy low pressure cut-out switch, or possibly the air gap on the compressor clutch is too wide. Some low pressure switches are adjustable with a jeweler’s screwdriver although I do not think that is applicable to Acuras or Hondas.
What can happen over time is if the air gap is too wide there will be a small, inherent amount of slippage and that in turn leads to wear which makes the gap even wider.

Gap can be checked with a feeler gauge. Shims are used to increase the gap. To narrow the gap I’ve sometimes shaved the clutch hub nose down a bit. Quite often the clutch assembly is replaced but even with doing that the air gap on a new clutch must be checked and adjusted as needed.

Thank you @ok4450 - I took notes of yours and will use it discuss with the m/c by end of the week.

The problem started before the re-charge - I only re-charged once. Did not go away after the re-charge.

That information indicates that the engine idle speed is too low. When the A/C clutch engages the idle speed drops below the threshold and the computer shuts off the compressor. Two seconds later after the idle speed recovers the computer switches the compressor on again and repeat.

Consider replacing the Idle Air Control Valve.

1 Like

@Nevada_545 Thanks
This is the next thing to do.

We did some check with gauges and found:
AC is charged fine
When RPM drops below 600, clutch disengages (sometimes engages back and forth - then the sound comes on)
When clutch disengages, low pressure side pressure goes to 75!

Also when rpm drops and clutch disengages, the low pressure on AC goes to 75!

As it should. When this cycling occurs increase the engine speed with your right foot, see if the condition goes away.

As it should? Ok so less issue to focus.
Thanks for confirming the low pressure side should go up when it dis-engages.

@Nevada_545
I got it fixed finally.

I actually cleaned IAC with a cloth (Honda doesn’t have any) and drove around for 30mins for it to return to as expected condition. Other choice would be getting an after market IAC.

Regarding your question on 70psi, I do not have the meter and relied on a friend’s. Later took it to the shop that recharged AC. They said all is fine but IAC. They adjusted the throttle to increase the idle RPM to 1k - I didn’t like how the car ran - got home and re-adjusted it.