Throttle Limit

I was looking at the throttle on this little honda accord i was playing with and noticed that there is a thick metal frame attached to the part of the throttle that the cable pulls on and rotates. The metal piece stops the throttle from rotating when it rests against the frame of the intake manifold which only allow for a little less than a 80 degree rotation. I was wondering if cutting the down or even removing it would allow for more power and better acceleration?

No.

If anyone could give me an explanation that would be great.

Okay:
Definitely, no.

Absolutely no.

You’re not looking at the part of the throttle that matters. It’s inside the throttle body, and it will only move so far no matter what you do outside.

Your idea won’t give you any more power or acceleration, and may cause damage to the internal components, which will really cost you some money to fix.

Leave it alone.

Look inside the throttle body i.e. take off the hose heading right into the part you are looking at. Now pull on the cable so the sector reaches its limit. You will see the throttle plate almost parallel to the air flow. If you modify the limit, the throttle plate will go past that position actually restricting the airflow again. Also the Throttle Position Sensor will be cranked past its usualy range and may be damaged.

Ergo, don’t try to out engineer Honda. They design their engines to produce the maximum horse power for the displacement while staying within the allowable emission limits.

Unless the Accord was new, in the middle of the accelerator cable is a Cruise Control module. It physically moves the cable to operate the speed the car up when necessary when the cruise control is on.

In addition to the excellent descriptions posted by McP and Researcher, allowing the cable to physically overdrive the cruise control module might also have some unintended consequences vis-a-vis damage to the module.

As inmoral as it may sound i could care less about emission limits so the skys the limit there.

But, re-read the post. Cutting off that little piece of metal will DAMAGE the TPS and NOT give you any more power. In fact, it will probably CUT the power you have. The only way you’ll get more power out of this engine will be to dump big money into it with Spec R (that’s racing) parts. And they don’t come cheap. If more power is what you want, sell this car and buy a 5.0L Mustang!

ok first of all if i could afford a mustang then i wouldn’t be trying to come up with cheap mods for a Honda. Second you were all wrong if you remove the metal piece it allows the throttle to open about 4 mm more and boosted my accel significantly. I now and coming close to matching your precious Mustang. I am running 0 to 60 in 5.2 and still have more mods to try out. But jesus does that much power and so little weight take a toll on the tires. Thanks for all your comments they really gave me insight on the idea and for the most part they are correct for almost all years and models. Even mine took a little modding to prefect.

The engine can only draw as much air/fuel into itself as it’s displacement will allow. A 3 liter engine can only draw 3 liters of air/fuel every 2 crankshaft revolutions. This will translate to some specific cubic liters per minute.

If the throttle body is sized perfectly to allow a maximum of that amount of air per minute there would be no need to limit throttle opening. But if the throttle body is slightly larger than necessary it will flow more air then the engine can ingest. This is the throttle body equivalent of too large a carburetor. That means that under full throtttle applications, vacuum in the intake manifold would disappear and air flow would be too slow. As those of us that can remember the bad old carburetor days know, the car would fall flat on it’s face under attempted acceleration.

Yet another case where the OP already had his mind made up and wasted everyone’s time.

Now that you can go from 0 to 60 in 5.2 seconds, you better start saving your money for a new engine.

Picture a faucet. When you open the handle until you can’t open it any more, the valve is 100% open. If you shaved down the little metal tab that keeps the handle from opening any more, you still couldn’t get the valve more than 100% open, and so you wouldn’t gain anything.

Engine just rolled over to 200000 and still runs strong ill let you know in about five years when anything even wears out.

best answer yet. thank you for that. i am only 22 so old carberators arent in my generation but you really did shed alot of knowladge on this for me.