This year's Pebble Beach Auction

…features some very rare European sports/racing cars from the '50s & '60s, but my favorite of the lot is the 1928 Mercedes. I guess that I am getting old…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo-essays/2017-08-17/pebble-beach-auction-top-lots-aston-martin-porsche-ferrari-mclaren

OK, you get the Benz and I’ll take the McLaren F1. All gorgeous cars.

It’s a deal!
:slightly_smiling_face:

Personally I think perhaps the most gorgeous classic of all time is the Jaguar D-Type.
thFTJ240EY

I agree!!!

Even more valuable than the D-type is the XKSS variant of the D that Jag was planning to market in The US.
A fire in their factory curtailed production, and–IIRC–only 16 XKSS cars were ever made. When you factor-in attrition over the ensuing years, there are likely only a handful of them remaining.

E-Type lightweight ALL the way… But I love the D-type’s too!

My favorite Jaguar is the E-Type. My best friend’s uncle (before he passed) was an insurance adjuster and owned 4 of those babies. Sheer beauty.

When I was in my teens and 20s, the E-type was my ultimate dream car.
Now…not so much…
I guess that I now qualify for “coot” status since my favorite is the '28 Mercedes.

I think the answer is get the '56 Aston Martin. Then if you don’t like it, sell it and get any two of the others. :wink:

In seriousness, if I could get one, I’d probably go for the '61 Ferrari 250GT, although the '70 Porsche 917 race car would be awfully tempting. That’d be a great one to take out to vintage races. Really turn some heads.

I like the look of 56 Aston Martin the best of the lot. The assortment on view there is biased too much towards race-track specialty cars imo. More interesting to see samples of old cars people actually drove around town or on Sunday touring drives with the family, or without the family & with the mistress … ;).

Yeah, that too is gorgeous. A famous actor had one back in the day, but for the life of me I cannot remember who.

The racing versions are rarer and therefore more valuable.

It’s Steve McQueen you’re thinking of, his XKSS is on display in the Petersen Museum.
https://petersen.org/portfolio-item/1956-jaguar-xkss/