This horse isn't dead yet. We need a pickup for <$20k

Could the manufacturers be playing it safe in anticipation of a possible downturn in the public’s buying power?

It appears that GM and Toyota to a degree recognize that a certain percentage of buyers don’t want or need a $30,000 truck but would accept giving up some features to get a brand new basic truck for $21,000-$23,000 (MSRP)

I have a friend who bought the current gen Tacoma with the Utility package that now sells for about $23,000 and it’s all he really needs in a truck.

This seems to be a bargain in Mexico. It’s a diesel for $20,500. I can’t slap my keyboard fast enough to get the page translated. What’s missing to make it legal north of the border?

How different are the safety requirements between Mexico and the US? That could be part of it.

Emissions would be my guess, Rod. Add about $3K in urea injection, catalyst and particulate trap and about a few million to certify it.

I’d guess the safety stuff lacking would be TPMS and ABS/Stability Control plus airbags - not sure about the airbags tho.

So it is not coming across the border

1 Like

I thought I got the link set on an online ad for the Ford Ranger in Spanish. If my neighbo’r’s 12 year old son doesn’t have too much homework I’ll have him post for me.

From what I can find on the mexican ford site the Ranger comes with Airbags and ABS but no mention of any stability control. The upcoming US model only mentions a Ecoboost engine but a Diesel may still be in the works.