Theft prevention

I’m pretty sure that the FOBs use a “rolling code”, ie, a new code is generated each time you press the key, from a psuedo-random generator. The receiver has the same generator and keeps in sync.

So I don’t know how this device can work.

There was a flurry of news articles about 5 year ago about a similar device, and then there was never a followup. Perhaps this is a hoax??

Re the lack of a key, I had a problem a few years ago, where I couldn’t find my car in a large parking lot, and walked around pressing the key listening for the beep. When I finally found it, the FOB didn’t work. Luckily the key did work.

Turns out the FOB (mine anyway) disables itself if the button is pressed some number of times without a response. Had to have a dealer reprogram both keys.

In this case, without a mechanical key, I would have had to tow the car.

Edit, It’s the car receiver that is disabled. You are allowed some number of steps out of sync. Ie, if the receiver gets a signal but it doesn’t match, the receiver advances a step and checks again, and repeats this N times before it disables itself.

1 Like

Several years ago when visiting a small town in Alabama with several friends someone noticed that the keys were dangling from the ignition switches of all the automobiles parked at the curb. I asked a clerk in one of the stores what the story was and was informed that the car owners didn’t want to block delivery trucks or customers from having access to the stores so they left the keys for the convenience of store owners and left the windows down so the interior wouldn’t get too hot. Small towns have a lot to offer to make up for the lack of night life.

PS, that’s why I use the bar that clamps onto my steering wheel (forgot what it’s called). It’s extra security. I only use it if I’m parking overnight in a questionable area.

From 2013: Thieves using a $17 power amplifier to break into cars with remote keyless systems.
Lock Stalk: Warning about thieves using ‘code grabbers’ to record remote keyless entry signals.
New high-tech car theft device showing up in the US.

From 2014: Caught On Camera: Concord Thief Uses Mystery Electronic Device To Break Into Car.

from 2015: High-tech car theft with a $17 device.
This Hacker’s Tiny Device Unlocks Cars And Opens Garages.

This is 6 different news reports. There are hundreds more.

Seems like too many to be a hoax.

Rod Knox: Although it was a long way from Alabama the small town I grew up in was exactly the same in the 1950s-1960s. I remember GM cars with an ignition switch that had to be locked with a key. Keys stayed in the pocket and cars were started by turning the switch with your fingers unless the starter button was activated with your foot.

Wired has an article that explains how it works.

The problem with this approach is it works in theory but will fail in practical application. Because the thief would have to follow you to your destination to steal the car and hope you didn’t use your FOB to re-lock the car upon exit, which would use the next code in sequence (the one stored on the thief’s device) rendering it unusable by the thief…good for garage doors though…

BillRussell: You’re describing the “club” steering wheel lock. I think it was Car and Driver that ran an article on “chop shops”. One photo was a mountain of “clubs” in a corner. The thieves simply hacksawed the steering wheel rims and slipped the “clubs” off.

Interesting.

All Lexus and Toyota Smart Key equipped vehicles come with two mechanical key blades. In some cases when owners lose their Smart key(s) they choose not to replace the key blade, it is sold separately.

If they have no mechanical keys there will be a problem entering the vehicle should the cars battery go dead.

^^^ They only give those keys to conservatives…

;-]

All I can tell you all is that it is not a hoax. I know not the technology behind it, but the news article used an expert to demonstrate. He built a unit for $30 that has worked on every car he/they tried it on.

Thanks, Nevada. I guess I can put Lexus back on my wish list!

sgtrock21: Yes, I’m just trying to make my car more difficult to steal. Make the thief move on to the next one. Yes, you can hacksaw through it, but you need that hacksaw, and some significant physical effort. And run the risk of someone seeing you wielding the saw.

TSM, read the article that TwinTurbo posted. Yes they can steal (save) a code. But it’s the very next code. So if you drive somewhere else, and lock the car (or unlock it later), then that code is used up and the car advances to the next one, and the thief is out of luck.

In fact, I don’t see how it can be used at all, unless the car has separate sequencers for lock and unlock. Even then it’s of limited use, as next time you unlock the car, the thief’s saved code is useless.

Our Acura has the fob with the hidden key for emergencies but you’d never want to use it for ordinary use. The Pontiac has the fob with regular key not attached. Really all I ever use is the fob. I do oil the lock once a year just to make sure it still works though. In fact never even ever use the fob on the Acura, just touch the handle and it opens or push the button and it locks with the fob in my pocket. Actually I like it.

BillRussell: Any layer of theft protection helps. The article was about professional car thieves ala “Gone in 60 Seconds”.

Bill, however they do it, it works and in addition to the expert demonstrating it the TV show showed security video footage of thieves opening and emptying locked cars. It was an investigative newsmagazine show, not a “paid” promotion.

TSM: then there are some unknowns here. The way I understand it: the thief saves a code. You drive away and park somewhere else. At that point the thief, if he has followed you, can unlock your car.

But if you finish your errand and unlock your parked car and drive back to your starting point, the thief cannot break in, as his stored code is no longer effective.

The thief doesn’t need to follow the owner. He can come back to the vehicle at his convenience after it’s returned to its parking spot. Even after you’ve finished your errands and returned.

Bill, I’m not claiming to understand its technology. I’ve already acknowledged that I don’t.
I’m only posting a warning and a way to counteract this technology, becoming popular among thieves.

If you’re trying to outthink this, understand that it’s already overcome the obstacles.

I’m missing something here. Probably the way the press describes the process.