Theft prevention

The code must be taken/copied when the driver locks the vehicle and walks away.

OK! I thought it worked only when the driver unlocked the car. Now it makes sense. Place the box near where the owner parks the car. When he parks it and locks the car, that code is stored. Now he (the thief) can use it to unlock the car.

That means the same codes are used to lock and unlock the car.

It would be cool if somebody set up a sting operation, and beat some of those thieves within an inch of their lives :naughty:

As far as I’m concerned, thieves are human parasites, who do not contribute anything useful to society

Old fart i am I hate carrying a fob, so I use the key, on the rare times I hit the autolock button on the driver or passenger door. May be a minialist, 5 keys, crap I hate getting old, car key. garage key. house key. universal key for work, one key OI have no idea, oil change punch card and a usb stick for work computer emergencies.

It looks to me like all of the 2007 Lexus FOBs do have a key as a back up - similar to the one for my RAV4 w/push button ignition. If the battery in the FOB dies, you can still get into the car with the key and start the car up by touching the logo on the FOB to the ignition button.

Here’s an example of a 2007 Lexus FOB -

No, Nevada, it doesn’t work that way.
I explained the way it works. I don’t understand it, but I explained the way it works. We’re all smart guys here, but sometimes a new technology comes out the operation of which simply isn’t readily discernable. This is one of those times.

I don’t know on which page you explained it on. Rolling code is commonly used since the late 1990’s. You can’t capture the next code when the vehicle leaves, it is likely the remote will be used again while the vehicle is away. The next code is blocked and captured simultaneously when the car is locked, then the criminal can use that code to unlock the vehicle.

Page one. I didn’t realize the post had grown so much.

I’m very familiar with rolling codes. They’ve been in use for other applications for decades, including my garage door opener. Somehow, somebody has figured out a way around this. To the guy that did, the way around probably seems obvious.

It’s possible that the algorithm used for automotive security locking systems is limited to a common series of standard progressions and whoever designed these things programs the chips to rapidly scan up & down through the standard progressions. For that to happen, the rolling codes could not be random
 but if they were perhaps we wouldn’t know them as “rolling codes”. I really don’t know all that much about this security technology.

Apologies if I’m starting to sound defensive. I’m starting to feel like my original statement’s veracity is being challenged.

Db, I agree with you. I’m sure the companies that design these security systems and sell them to auto manufacturers must be looking into this. These types of problems tend to attract a lot of attention once they become public. Unfortunately, when the parasites get caught by the law they get let go immediately, but thankfully the industry itself is likely to be concerned.

The process is explained in Twin Turbo’s link on page 5. I believe we had this same discussion 4 months ago.

You’re right. Sorry I missed that page. Must have been visiting the restroom. :smile:
Thanks TT.

mountainbike

But even if the thief is let go, he still has something on his record, correct?

When a thief uses a code-grabber to unlock a car and steal stuff . . . what kind of crime is that?

Car theft?

breaking and entering?

And would that be a felony or a misdemeanor?

I suppose one could argue that prison should be reserved for violent offenders, rather than these code-grabber type of thieves

But I won’t be the one making that argument :smirk:

And I do agree that there is not much incentive to NOT practice this despicable behaviour

I still can’t understand how somebody has no pride, no desire to make something of himself

I can’t understand why somebody is tempted to take something that doesn’t’ belong to him

Then again . . . some of my former and current colleagues had to be told by their supervisors that it was NOT okay to take something that doesn’t belong to them. They also had to be told that it was NOT okay to raid the parts warehouse and take stuff home

Unbelievable that a grown man in his 40s or 50s needs to be told these things

it ought to be common knowledge, but I guess it isn’t

BTW . . . with some of these guys, as soon as the supervisor went back into his office after that discussion, the guys headed straight to the warehouse, raided the shelves, and took the loot straight to their own cars :frowning:

If breaking and entry can’t be charged, unlawful entry/burglary should be.

I didn’t think this was a wide spread problem. rather a proven theory by another unemployed electronics wiz.

Yes theft is still theft, whether they break in or the door is open(ed). While not violent, they still need to be taken off the streets to protect the public, in my view. However, I thought that lock picks were illegal so isn’t providing a code scanner also illegal?? Personally, I’d take that guy off the street too.

Geeze, I came back to my computer and it was all locked up saying windows was updating. An hour later the dang thing had updated to Windows 10 all by itself. I’ve been saying no every time the message came up. What a bunch of jerks. Must be some very compelling reason why they want everyone upgraded. Heaven knows what I agreed to.

This is one reason I ALWAYS employ one more level of added “security” to the vehicles I care about. If I don’t fully trust the factory “System” and I like whatever I’m driving more than usual ( Like my Porsche 914 and current GTi )
I go out n get me a few factory switches or push buttons
one say for Fog lights
when I don’t have fog lights
or an interior dimmer light that locks in the final position to hold the light on inside the cabin
 and sometimes I use two or more in conjunction.

One of my favs was using the passenger or rear Seat belt clicker as another “Key”
car wouldn’t start if the seat belt wasn’t clicked on the pass side or the back seat
 I would usually go to the yard and clip off the seat belt “clip” from the same vehicle
using this as a “key”
 and leave that “key” inside the car somewhere
 Who would think of this during a theft attempt? Nobody
that’s who
 Even if they did think of it
there are 4 possible seat belt clickers
and none work without a certain button on the dash engaged
 LOL

I wire them to a relay or relays
and just choose something to “Kill” within the list of items needed to run the engine. It is a simple and effective way to be sure your vehicle is not driven away by impromptu or otherwise thieves. I almost never kill the starter wire tho
leaving it active lends some level of “hope” to would be thieves
 I kill something like fuel or spark or a sensor
but leave the starter working
 Psychological Warfare sorta

All the switches n relays in the world wont stop a Flatbed truck however
so this added layer of protection only goes so far. But it is effective in the conventional sense of preventing someone from starting your vehicle and letting someone drive off with it. Its even thwarted a car jacking attempt

Sometimes “Low-Tech-No-Tech” and even “Rube-Tech” is the best way to foil “High Tech” LOL

Blackbird

Just checked with wife. There is s key. There’s a little slot on underside of handle to unlock door. Maybe if she lets me drive it more I’d know.

Db, most of these crooks already have records. Many don’t care. Many consider it a badge of honor. Very few actually care.

Nevada_545: That is exactly what I read about a couple of years ago. I use the armrest button to lock my car. My keys/fob are in my pocket when I walk away.

@Bing

I thought that lock picks were illegal

I’m not so sure, I bought sets of them right off the Matco tool truck.

PvtPublic: And you can buy “slim jims” used to open locked vehicles at the hardware store.

I remember several years ago, there was a car magazine . . . “european car”, I believe . . . that had a very nice and detailed write-up about some kind of a highly modified Porsche

Soon after, the magazine reported that somebody had shown up with a flatbed and simply made off with the entire car :fearful:

I believe the car was named after a computer game . . . perhaps “Doom” or “Quake” :naughty:

So by naming those, you know it happened a REALLY long time ago :smirk: