Theft prevention

Mike we are on the same page as far as stolen art and violins. Lots of folks out there with money and secret museums and galleries.

I guess I jumped to a conclusion that along with keyless ignition went keyless doors.

There was a post going around on facebook about thieves putting a penny or dime in the passenger side handle. It is supposed to keep the passenger door from locking with the FOB. If no one is using the passenger door, then the driver doesnā€™t know it is there.

I have my doubts about that though. If I am out alone, I only press the FOB button once for the drivers door only so I donā€™t see how that would work.

Many people, my wife included, put their valuables in the trunk. Thieves often find it easy to pry the trunk open without setting off the alarm. When we go hiking we carry only the essentials with us and leave nothing of value in the car.

Todayā€™ security systems now also have the trunk or hatch wired into the anti-theft systems.

"There was a post going around on facebook about thieves putting a penny or dime in the passenger side handle. It is supposed to keep the passenger door from locking with the FOB....I have my doubts about that though."

To think that something questionable or just plainā€¦wrongā€¦could be on Facebook is simplyā€¦ unthinkable! Everyone knows that if you see something on Facebook, it has to be trueā€¦

:wink:

For some reality on the topic, take a look at:

Ase, Barky, I thought of that, but I'm not familiar with any new car that doesn't have a key as a backup.

My wifes 07 Lexus has keyless ignition and keyless entry. The vehicle has no key for backup. Just the fobā€¦nothing else.

Ase, Barky, I thought of that, but Iā€™m not familiar with any new car that doesnā€™t have a key as a backup. Can anybody name one?

As far as I know thereā€™s always a key as a backup, but often times it involves snapping it out of the key fob and then reassembling it, or carrying a separate key altogether, thereby completely negating the idea of keyless entry in the first place.

I think every car Iā€™ve had that was 1995 or newer had a key fob for entering and exiting. Itā€™s not new.

When I was a teen, our bus stop was outside the house of a man that worked for Budweiser. He had a company car, Ford Maverick, with the Bud logo on the doors. Someone used a crowbar on the trunk more than once. He finally put a sign on the trunk lid that said there was no beer in the car.

MikeInNH: My oldest Son was moving into an apartment. The small U-Haul was parked at his front door so he parked his POS Honda in back. Someone smashed the driverā€™s side window and pried out the 12 year old OEM non-functional radio. None of the doors were locked!!!

This is sort of funny and disturbing on several levelsā€¦ People buy a tech laden vehicle for its gizmos n gadgets n FOBs n Screens these days. I saw this computer driven nightmare coming long ago. Anywaysā€¦people who have cars with FOBsā€¦will very likely never and I mean never ever use thier car key to unlock the car. I cant cover all the ā€œwhysā€ of all thatā€¦but it ainā€™t happenin. One instance I can think of is a 11ā€™ Infiniti G37ā€¦the key is hidden inside the FOB and has to be slid out and you have this tiny little spindly ā€œemergency keyā€ in your handā€¦sure you could use itā€¦but how many people will do this for fear of Hacker Thieves they donā€™t even believe exist ? Noneā€¦thatā€™s how many.

The newest vehicle FOBā€™s dont function the same as the keyless entry remotes of yesterdayā€¦the vehicle and FOB talk to each other without any input from the driver or userā€¦ Im thinking this new problem is feeding this latest of computer savvy criminals.

The other disturbing thing is thisā€¦ If you have the computer knowledge and skills to build this code catching deviceā€¦ You have the skills to make a good living. So what is wrong in this picture is definitely multi level.

Kids these days were born with tech us Old Heads could only dream of back in the dayā€¦it opens the door (Pun intended) to an entirely new type of crimeā€¦no less worrisomeā€¦and in ways much more worrisome. I had to go to school to learn computers n networking and suchā€¦these kids seem to already know this stuff right off the door. Computers are just something they were born withā€¦this will lead to scary places. Places where you suddenly no longer own your own homeā€¦or your bank accountā€¦

Im gonna go check on the money in my mattress nowā€¦

Blackbird

Im gonna go check on the money in my mattress now...
And use it to buy gold.

I have an FOB and use my key much more often than the FOB.
I must be change-resistant! :smiley:

Then donā€™t buy a keyless Lexus or Toyota. There is no key.

No backup?

the same mountainbike: The backup is what thieves used in the old days. A brick through the window! I carry a key in my wallet. The only places left to use it are driverā€™s door and ignition switch.

If I understand Mike correctly, thereā€™s no key at all. I wouldnā€™t want that.
I carry a spare key in my pocket with my loose change.

No backup. Our Lexus IS now 9 years old and no issues so far. You get a warning the battery in the fob needs replacing long before it wonā€™t work. Wife loves the convenience of the system.

I guess Iā€™ll have to cross Lexus off my ā€œwhen I win the lotteryā€ list!
Bummer. I like Lexus.

Hackers are apparently building a device that they place under the car that will detect and store the signal that your FOB transmits when you unlock the car.

Like George, my first thought went to my garage door opener. Even it uses rolling code technology to deter someone from cloning the last transmission. Even I canā€™t open the door if they get out of sync for some reason. I have to initiate a re-sync operation so they are both seeded with the new number.

It would be a huge oversight (sin if done on purpose) if they did not use a digital data stream with synchronized rolling codeā€¦

most keyless entry/start cars do have a backup key hidden in the remote. Thereā€™s a little button somewhere that you press to eject the key. This will unlock the driver side door. Once youā€™re inside the car, the remoteā€™s battery is no longer needed as the polling signal from the car is enough to energize the RFID chip in the remote and tell the car that itā€™s OK to start.