The Yaris Chronicals

Now I hear through the grapevine that the redesigned '09s will cost $4k more than the ‘08s… Now that nose bump is lookin’ good… Think I’ll look for a “used”…

I’d bet it’s not going up $4k, probably more like $400.

Yep, just checked, it’s $400-$700, and there’s little new, except the 5-door and “All Yaris? will now feature a number of standard safety features, including anti-lock brake system (ABS) with Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), driver and front passenger front seat-mounted side airbags, and front and rear side curtain airbags”.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14516

Those will be welcome improvements. One of the reasons why Consumer Reports concluded that they could not recommend the current model Yaris is its very long stopping distances on the models without ABS.

I’d disregard any more info from your “grapevine”. If the car cost $4,000 more you would just buy a Toyota Corolla because the Yaris would be pointless.

Where are you getting your info? Every dealer I’ve talked to is pleading complete ignorance as to the pricing of the '09s… Not that I believe that for a minute, but I can’t get anyone to talk… Except unreliable rumor-mongers, of course…

Just Google “2009 Yaris price”. There was an August 2, 2008 Toyota press release.

MSRP: $12,205 - $15,125

That’s a pretty wide range; could drive an SUV through it…

Dave makes an excellent point.

You could put it in the back of an SUV and tote it around like a bicycle. :stuck_out_tongue:
I have shoes bigger than a Yaris, and much better looking too. :smiley:

The Yaris will be competing with the Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, Suzuki, Chevy Aveo, and Mazda’s new subcompoact. If you Google the prices of these cars they have to be within a few hundred dollars. This is avery competitive mmarket. So your grapevine is mostly sour or rotten grapes!

You won’t get all that for $400…

The “YARIS” IS pointless!! It’s psy-war to sucker yuppies…

I agree. It’s like they’re just pandering to the yuppies right now so they can brag about how good their gas mileage is. I think the Mini Cooper is bigger than the Yaris 3 door. In a few more years, people will be ditching their cramp-mobiles for something bigger.

The mini-cooper is smaller and lower than the Yaris Liftback.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a mini-cooper instead of a Yaris or wanting a Yaris more than a mini-cooper.

Those cars are quite different and appeal to different tastes and needs.

I’ve always wondered about people who disparage certain cars. What is it that makes them believe that a car that they wouldn’t drive is wrong for everyone else?

“You could put it in the back of an SUV and tote it around like a bicycle”

You say that as if that was a bad thing.

In business we do a "“Needs Analysis” to determine what type of equipment to buy. For a single person or newly married couple, a small 4 passenger car is quite adequate. Which small 4 passenger car you buy is up to you; they vay in price and luxury. The Yaris (and the other sub-compact cars) is sold all over the world as a Family Car, and lead a long and happy life.

As advisors to this forum we should not shoot from the hip and condemn certain cars because of their size. Americans constantly have problems distinguishing between needs and wants, and the car compnaies’advertising does not help. Consumer Rports once tested the old Beetle and concludied that “this is the car most Americans should drive, but probably won’t”.

Keep in mind the population density in America in many places is much much lower than it is in most industrialized countries. Imagine 4 people plus their luggage crammed into a Yaris for a 10 hour road trip. However across the pond the popluation density is higher and due to everything being closer together (and a hugely better high speed rail system) people typically don’t undertake such long journeys by car.

Agree; but if that is the kind of driving you do, you get something a little bigger, like a Mazda Hatchbck or Pontiac Vibe.

Both Australia and Canada have much thinner populations than the US, and both countries have on average smaller cars. The Honda Civic is the best-selling car in Canada, while the average car in Australia is much smaller than in the US. A Crown Victoria in Australia is called a “Yank Tank”.

When our kids were small we had a Dodge Dart 2 door hardtop, and it held all our luggage, and 2 kids seats in the back. We could have added a roof carrier if needed. The interior room and luggage space of that car was similar to that of a Toyota Corolla. We did learn not to try to take the kitchen sink with us on a long trip.

How tiny and cramped is the Yaris Liftback?

Can you put an adult’s road bike in the back with some disassembly?

Can you put a .60 size radio control model airplane with a 66 inch wingspan one-piece wing back there?

As far as I can tell, the only thing that won’t fit into a Yaris is the egos of some people.

I’ve always wondered about people who disparage certain cars. What is it that makes them believe that a car that they wouldn’t drive is wrong for everyone else?

As far as I can tell, the only thing that won’t fit into a Yaris is the egos of some people.

I like to rag on it because it’s small and weird looking, and not in a Mini Cooper way either. I’ve always owned smaller cars since I started driving. 80 Dodge Champ(3 door hatchback), 91 Chevy Corsica(4 door sedan), 95 Ford Contour(4 door sedan), and now a 99 Honda Civic(2 door)