Toyota Yaris - 2010 MVI - being sold for $3000

Hi Folks,

I really need to get a new car, but I haven’t found much for sale in my area.
I’m on a limited budget, and I’m seeing a deal for a 2010 Toyota Yaris for $3000.
It seems to be in great shape. Other than an a donut gasket & abs sensor.
No rust, the body is in great shape, and it’s obviously been very well kept.

My concern, that the engine has clocked 280,000 km.
Would this be a wise purchase? If so, what would be a good price?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Just use an online web site to see what vehicles like this one are selling for. It sounds like you are not in the USofA which most of the regular posters here are.

In your other thread it appears you found a good shop. If the seller will let you take the car to them for an inspection . Well kept ? Then why did they not at least fix the donut gasket which I guess is on the exhaust .

2 Likes

I haven’t seen the car yet, I’m going by the pictures provided in the posting. But the interior and engine bay look pristine, and the body shows no sign of rust. So it ‘appears’ to be well kept, but you’re right I can’t be sure. I’ll get a better sense of that when I check it out later tonight.

I guess I’m just trying to get an idea if buying a car with that mileage makes sense. And a lot of folks on here are more knowledgable about this than I am.

If the car was well maintained, 280K kM isn’t too much for a $3000 car. It likely has life left in it.

If it hasn’t been well maintained, it is an expensive problem waiting for the next buyer. You cannot evaluate that over the internet.

3 Likes

I love Toyota’s, one of the best on the road, but having 174K (which is not bad for a Toyota) miles on it with an ABS light on and leaking exhaust, the seller (or previous owner) may be getting ride of it before turning into a money trap if they were/are dumping the vehicle with 2 known (maybe more) issues… That would make me think the seller didn’t want to keep the maintenance up properly… Donut gaskets are cheap and ABS sensors are a little high for that car, so why not fix them before selling, or is there more to the story??

It’s amazing what a detail guy can do to a trashed out car to make it look good… lol
I looked at a used vehicle at the dealer that was not prepped yet and had rocks and dirt (mud) all over the engine (gravel roads) and looked trashed out… I looked at it again after prep and it looked like new…

That being said, $3000 in my area is a great price for a basic 2door hatch Yaris (don’t know all the details of your vehicle)…
As stated by Volvo V70, I would have a shop do a pre purchase inspection…
And Mustangman, If not well maintained it could turn into a money pit…

2 Likes

So I’m reading the room here … seems this car ‘could’ have potential, but only if I get a green light from a mechanic. Ok, I can do that. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

5 Likes