Toyota Yaris

I have the opportunity to buy a Toyota Yaris with 24k miles for $10,000.00.

Firstly, is this a good deal? And secondly, is this a good car? I know Toyotas are generally good vehicles, I just haven’t heard much about the Yaris.

Thanks

How Much Warranty Is Left? Has This Car Ever Been In An Accident?

What year is this car?
Is a dealer selling it? If an individual is selling, why? Do you know the owner?

$10,000 seems like a lot to me. The MSRP of a new Yaris is only $13,000. I would offer $8,000 for this car in this economy. It is a buyer’s market.

Consumer Reports does not recommend the Yaris, due to the way that it handles, accelerates, and rides. However, it is reliable and gets very good gas mileage. Since CR is usually very impressed with Toyota vehicles, their rating might cause you to rethink the purchase.

On the other hand, CR prefers the ride, interior room, and other qualities of the Nissan Versa, but they do not recommend that vehicle because of poor reliability.

The top-rated car in this category is the Honda Fit, which has good driving dynamics, excellent gas mileage, and excellent reliability.

If you’ve got $10,000 to spend, I’d move one step larger, to a used Corolla or Civic. You’ll give up a little on fuel economy, but it’s a more substantial car.

the year is 2008, and it is a 4-door, private party, the actual price is $9588 and it has the auto trans. Thanks for the replies. I don’t like the Corolla, or the Civic, and might consider a small good mileage SUV, any tips there? The Fit would be over my price range I believe.

Thanks again for your replies

How about a Maza 3?

Offer the private party $8,000 and see what happens. The worst thing that can heppen is they will say “no” or make a counter offer.

I’m not sure I want a Yaris after VDC’s post. What about a Kia sportage?

I think you should test drive all the vehicles you are considering rather than make a major decision based on what strangers think. Drive a Kia Sportage and tell us what you think.

What does it have for options ?

Trust me, I’m not making my decision based soley on what you think, I’m not a child. I am looking for input from those that have experience with these vehicles.

This is all it lists; Power Steering, Bucket Seats, Airbag: Driver, Airbag: Passenger, CD Player, Premium Sound, Rear Window Defroster, Tinted Glass, Alloy Wheels, A/C: Front

And it is a hatchback model, and I was wrong about the mileage, it only has 4500 mi. KBB says private party value is at 11k.

When CR does a review, I feel the most important measurement by previous owners is the Owner satisfaction rating. Even if CR does not recommend a car and lots of people are ultimately happy…in your case with, mileage, ride and reliability, I’d be more inclined to use that as a factor.
I know you said you don’t like the Corolla…it’s just not as cool looking but is nearly as economical and better in EVERY other respect…$10K gets a pretty decent used one. They grow on you when year after year you drive them and do very few repairs.
Either is worth considering…good luck.

With it being an 08 model, the first question I’d hafta ask them is “Why?”. Why are they selling it? Something expensive happen to it? Was the owner one of those who thinks an oil change should be covered under warranty, and refused to change it when they found out it wasn’t? Was the owner suckered out of their truck because of gas prices, and now that gas has gone back down, they want a truck again?

It sounds OK but ask the owner for documented oil changes. If you don’t see paperwork for at least four of them, you should be suspicious. Other than that, I wouldn’t say no. I have an 07 Yaris sedan. I keep hitting the windshield wiper stalk when I turn to back out of the driveway. The car rides like an econobox. The Echo was better. Yours will be a different vehicle altogether.

Be sure that there are no liens on the car and you get a clear title. Also, this car has 24,000 miles. That means that the tires have gone 24,000 miles, the battery has started and restarted the car a number of times. The brakes have done 24,000 miles worth of stops. If a new Toyota Yaris can be had for $13,000, I’m not certain that $10,000 makes this one a good purchase. If you reason that the car should be good for 150,000 miles, it has used up about 1/6th of its life. Add tires and brakes in another 24,000 miles and see if the asking price really makes this a good purchase.

As far as Consumer Reports is concerned, the Yaris seems to be reliable. What is important is that the car is a good fit for you. I subscribe to Consumer Reports, but I drive a vehicle that isn’t recommended–a 2006 Chevrolet Uplander minivan. It fits my needs–I often carry musicians and intruments, including tympani and string basses. I have to back up off a busy street into a narrow alley which has a telephone post on one side and the building on the other side to get to a stage door. The Uplander is narrower than other minivans which for me is an advantage. You are the one who has to live with the car–not the Consumer Reports’ staff. If it is a good fit for you, the car checks out o.k. by a mechanic and the price is right for you, then go for it. Don’t just buy it because it is there–there will always be cars.

Forgive me. It looked as though you disregarded the Yaris because of one person’s opinion. I don’t think that makes you a child, just short sighted. I still think you should drive a Yaris before you rule it out.

When a brand new car with only 4500 miles is back on the market I always have to ask “why”. If you’re unable to confirm a valid reason that’s other than a problem with the car itself, you may want to avoid it. People do not put a car back in the market just after they’ve bought it unless there’s a reason

Call me suspicious if you’d like. Something just doesn’t fell right based on the limited information you’ve posted.

Having said that, I realize that in 2005 I myself traded in a two month old perfectly good Corolla because it was killing my back. So there may be a valid reason. But be careful.

Good for 150000 miles? Thats just broken in.