The Saturn Vue is back

…under a new name.
The “new” vehicle is called the Chevy Captiva, but even in the unlikely event that you are captivated by it, you will not be able to walk into a dealership and buy one. GM has designated this vehicle as only being available for “fleet sales”.

http://wot.motortrend.com/chevys-vue-like-captiva-sport-fleets-only-37847.html

You could always buy one - if you lived in Europe, where it is the Opel Antara. I expect that other GM cars from Pontiac will return. Consider the new Impala. It’s an import from Holden, just as the GTO and G8 were. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Solstice/Sky returned. If the mid-size/economy segment was not well served by the Malibu and Cruze, I could have expected to see the Astra as well.

I saw one a few weeks ago and wondered why it looked so familiar…

Or go to England, where it has been sold as a Chevy Captiva for years. It’s just one of the many Chevrolets we don’t see in the US. Most of the English ones are nasty renamed Daewoos, so we’re better off without them, but I regret that they give European customers an even worse idea of “American” cars than they already have. At least the Vue/Captiva isn’t so terrible. Why it makes sense to make these for fleets instead of just increasing production of similar Equinoxes is a mystery, but that can be said of so many GM decisions. What will they say to a customer trying to buy a Captiva just like that nice one they drove on their last vacation?

“Why it makes sense to make these for fleets instead of just increasing production of similar Equinoxes is a mystery,”

No mystery - it’s money. The Equinox is expensive compared to the Captiva. It’s likely that the fleet buyer can save hundreds if not thousands when they buy one Captiva. The savings to a large fleet buyer can be staggering.