The possible social problems with electric vehicles

I maybe the only person that has come across this… but I doubt it. When my Son got his first electric car, twice in the space of a few weeks, we had to do some shopping, (for his benefit) and whereas we would have used his car, he said we`ll have to go in yours because I need to conserve my battery! Obviously I did this for him. I thought no more about it, until my Wife drove her car for 3 hours to meet my Son and family in a holiday cottage in Somerset. She was really looking forward to having a cup of tea and a well earned rest, but when she arrived they all said that they were waiting for her to take them to the beach, as their journey had taken so much out of their battery. Also he wanted to charge their battery up from the cottage to save them making a special trip to the town to charge it. but he said that the charging would be much slower from the cottage, so my Wife ended up taking them absolutely everywhere, some holiday! Has anyone else any similar experiences?

Well, my brother had odd ideas about cars too, if that is what you mean.
Unless your son has a vehicle with incredibly short range, sounds more like he doesn’t want anyone to ride in his car. Or, he bought a car that does not suit his needs.
As far as charging time, depends on the nature of the charger he bought.

3 Likes

Purebred, Thanks for your reply. Whatever the reasons, It never happened when we were all driving petrol cars!

What EV does your son own? As @Purebred said, it might have a short range. Also, he might have new car anxiety, meaning he is overly concerned about using his new car for fear that something might happen to it. You might also mention that he can use a commercial charger when away from home. It won’t break the bank to get a 204V or quick charge instead of the overnight charge from the cottage 120V power. Last, your wife can say that she is tired from the long drive and doesn’t want to go to the beach.

2 Likes

Regardless of range, the OP makes a good point about being on vacation and not having access to a fast charger.

1 Like

I would look for alternatives to getting beach sand in my new car, too. :wink:

1 Like

I’d say your son has “range anxiety” with his new EV. That should fade as he gets more used to it.

1 Like

The next time I would arrive with the low fuel light on and tell my son that I am too tired to drive. I will stay here with a book and a cup of tea and you can take my car. you will have to put some gas in it though.

When my oldest son first rented a house, I stopped by with my truck to see it. He was busy with something in his garage and told me to go in and he would be there shortly. I went in the house, left the door open on a cold fall day, turned on all the lights and the tv.

He came in and said, are you crazy, why is everything on and the door open? I told him I just wanted him to know what it felt like.

10 Likes

What what felt like?

Coming in the house and finding everything on and the door open like he used to do when he lived at our house.

6 Likes

did the same to my son when he moved into his first apartment: Every light on, a/c way down, threw trash next to the garbage can, barely dirtied some dishes and left next to the sink, cabinets doors open, towels on the floor. And I was only there for like 15 minutes. :rofl: :rofl:

he got my point and does MUCH better when he comes over now. Especially since he is paying his own bills. He gets that I wasn’t just being a nag to nag, but wasn’t a fan of wasting money and energy. :wink:

3 Likes

Seems the kids figured it out quickly, two vehicles, charge the electric vehicle at the cottage and take the other vehicle to the beach. If mom wanted to sit in the cottage drinking tea, why did she go to the beach?

My middle daughter does that at her own house, and she pays the bills. Not gonna happen at our house. I follow her around and turn the lights off when she leaves the room.

With LED lighting and the tiny amount of energy it uses, it almost doesn’t pay to shut them.

3 Likes

Doesn’t he have a place to charge the battery? This makes no sense to me.

It’s called planning ahead. There are several apps you can use to find the closest charging station. Not very hard.

As I’ve stated before…right now battery range is limited compared to an ICE vehicle. EV’s are PERFECT for commuter vehicles with an average rate of over 150 miles. I don’t know of anyone who has a 150 mile daily commute. We’re very hesitant in buying an EV because of the range limitation. But that’s changing as EV range is getting better and better every year.

One of my neighbors owns an electric, pre-Covid used to charge it at work place for free. Many silicon valley employers offer this as a benefit. Post-Covid, works from home. Some machinations involved now to keep the vehicle charged.

You are right that electric’s just aren’t as robust as gasoline power. For example, say you & family needed to flee a hurricane, only way to safety is joining slow-going traffic on the freeway out of town. If the battery goes dead, pretty much out of luck. So electrics not so good for that sort of situation. But they work pretty good most of the time. Owning a back-up gasoline car seems a good idea though.

my friend has a library down the block from him that has a free charging station. it might be a place to look by him to see if they have one. just a thought.

Of course it did. “Gee mom, I’m broke and can’t afford gas. You drive” is a phrase that’s been uttered by supposedly grown children to their parents pretty much since Benz first produced an ICE car.

This is not a social implication of an electric car. This is a social implication of your kid having come to expect everyone else to cater to him. He should have gotten a longer range electric car, or planned better so that he’d arrive at the cottage in time to charge it in town, or rented a more appropriate car, or used public transportation, or at the very least checked with your wife before the trip was already underway to be sure she’d be OK with ferrying your son all over creation for the whole vacation.

That you/she catered to his demands is no indictment of electric vehicles. Despite this being a car advice forum, my Dear Abby advice would be for your wife to tell your son that she has no desire to drive for Uber, but there are people in Somerset who do and if he needs to be chauffeured around everywhere, he can avail himself of their services.

5 Likes

Where are all the apartment dwellers going to charge their electric cars?

2 Likes

All of the apartments in my area have on property parking spots, one or two spaces for each unit. When electric vehicles become prevalent these apartment complexes will offer more charging stations.

Things change though out the years, for example the coal chute in your home is no longer used. We adapt to different forms of energy.

8 Likes