First EV Road Tip

We drove to my daughter’s house last Wednesday in the Tesla. I charged up fully then drove home, ending up with about 97% when we left the next day. Not much traffic at 6am once we got past Tyson’s Corner on the DC beltway headed south. We arrived with about 40% remaining on the battery. It was a comfortable ride and since I signed up for the premium connectivity I got to listen to uninterrupted music the entire trip. It’s like Sirius/XM but also includes enhanced map features, all for $10/month. I do have one complaint: it’s too easy to go fast, really fast. On the 70 mph portions of I-95 between Alexandria and Richmond I found myself exceeding 80mph. It’s so quiet and firmly planted that doing 80 feels about the same as 50, except the broken lines go by a lot faster. Mrs JT did not like that and I slowed down. I also don’t need a conversation with the VA State Police, and they were out and about of course. Anyway, great trip and all in one charge each way. Maybe I’ll try driving to my BIL’s house in the Norfolk area next.

1 Like

You must be living a charmed life. In my experiences Once you to get anywhere north of Fredricksburg, things slow down noticeably in either direction with 60-65 MPH being about all you can hope for.

We didn’t have that problem on Tuesday morning when we drove down, but traffic was terrible from about Stafford to the DC beltway, just like always. No wonder they put the variable speed limit signs in. For those that don’t know, traffic is so bad between Fredericksburg and DC that VA installed lighted speed signs. When traffic is heavy, they just drop the speed from 70 to whatever they think is safe. Unfortunately, the actual speed is 25 if you’re lucky. Northbound before Fredericksburg was quick and that’s when I exceeded 80. Yes, people were still passing me. Maybe you too, @FoDaddy. :wink:

Maybe I should add that our nephew bought a new Nissan Leaf about a year and a half ago. He drove the family from near Charlotte, NC to our place to visit his grandmother. That was the plan. They made it as far as Richmond and tried to recharge it, but it wouldn’t take a charge. They had it towed to a Nissan dealer but the dealer didn’t work on EVs and it was towed to another Nissan dealer. They got a loaner car for the rest of the trip and eventually got their car back with a replacement charging system. Nissan even delivered his car to him in the Charlotte area. Still, that gave us pause even though we’ve had our Tesla for 5 months with no problems. Range anxiety I guess.

How many miles on 50% charge? If you are <50% charge then that means you can’t drive home, as is?

EV or Gas can both break down in a bad way so nothing anyone can do about that part of it…
BUT, are mechanics going to have to become electrical engineers or are electrical engineers going to have to become mechanics so shops will be able to work on the EV’s when they are the majority and not the minority??

They will still have steering and suspensions and mechanical/hydraulic brakes and wheel/tires for a while anyway to keep auto shops open, but things are going to be changing big time for shops in the near future… I imagine a lot of smaller lower budget shops are going to pay the price and have to shut down… :thinking:

Glad you had a safe trip…

1 Like

Turns out I went about 141 miles according to the power meter and the actual mileage. Half way would be about 130 miles and I’d never let it run that low. I recharged the afternoon before we drove home at a local Supercharger, about 15 minutes from my daughter’s home.

It’s an evolution. Back in the day the only electrics we’re lights, radio, and ignition. Today there are tons in electronics even in ICE cars. High voltage electronics training is required for most hybrid ICE cars. Basically remove the ICE engine and you have a BEV. The electric motors will be new, but everything else is already there.

4 Likes

That’s why you have cruise control.

That’s not range anxiety. That’s “Your car’s charger is broken”. Not quite the same thing.

I’d change that to … the electric motors are bigger… rather than new. :wink:

The hybrid motors are basically just smaller versions of the BEV motors.

I’ve had several conversations with the owner of the repair shop I use about the way his business will change with increasing use of BEVs. There will be fewer visits but at 8 to 10 years battery cell replacement will increase business for those shops that become proficient in replacement. Also, I suspect that by 2030 my LFP cells will be a lot less expensive and I might have the option of solid state batteries with better charge density.

1 Like

I hope you are correct but I doubt this.

Battery cost is mostly the material cost. High demand for the material and limited supply that can 10 to 20 years to develop will keep the costs high.

It is very difficult to start a new mine in the US. It takes upwards of 10 years to gain approvals and it is a very capital intensive industry. Lithium mines in other countries with less regulation know this and will likely limit supply to keep costs high.

I’m not bothered by it. I choose to have a more optimistic outlook. It’s all just a guess anyway. There are also other battery technologies that don’t depend on lithium, nickel or cobalt and the advent of those less expensive sources will help keep battery cost down.

According to MIT:
“Lithium-ion batteries keep getting better and cheaper”

But, as MIT also points-out in its Technology Review, other battery technologies are being developed, including solid-state and Sodium-ion.

:point_up_2:

1 Like

Funny, the way I read jtsanders post was that they have/had range anxiety and so tried to charge the car after reaching Richmond but it wouldn’t charge because it wasn’t yet low enough to need charging. Different way of looking at it I guess…

Currently do not need to be a mechanical engineer to rebuild an engine (prime example writing this) :grinning:

No need to be an engineer going forward to do repairs if the subsystems and diagnostics are set up right. I assume the tools will change and the skill sets required will change for some parts of the car with more emphasis on electronics diagnostic tools. It’s an evolution just like most fields. Mechanics will become more technician oriented than they are today and have to keep up or be left behind.

2 Likes

Actually, the onboard charger was broken and replaced as a warranty item. The range anxiety was mine, partly as a result of my nephew’s problems, even though he had a Leaf and I have a Tesla. I suspect that almost anyone would experience range anxiety on their first long trip in an EV. I assuaged my angst by topping off the night before the trip after making a couple of unscheduled trips after charging and before leaving for Richmond. I figured that I’d have as much as 40 miles remaining after arrival and on a first long trip that was too little. It turned out that I was right in and had plenty of battery left.

1 Like

I know I would. Anything new and unverified I approach with some level of caution, especially if there is a major inconvenience factor. Prior experiences in life can condition us to react that way :grinning:

1 Like

The MIT article puts a lot of stock in emerging technologies. These emerging technologies are just starting production or or in development which means they won’t be seen in production cars for at least 3-5 years. And that is a very optimistic estimate considering how long it took Tesla to stop using battery packs made from laptop cells and how long it took to start producing LPF cells.

A less rosy picture is painted here:

Or here…

“Lithium carbonate prices have rocketed to record highs over the past year due to strong demand from Chinese battery makers.”

Lithium countries will form the next OPEC.