The possible social problems with electric vehicles

When I lived in ND there were outlets in the parking lot for block heaters in the parking lot.

1 Like

Either at their apartment complex (which many are doing now). Or at work (which a couple co- workers do). I’d think that people who buy an EV would know if they have an easy place to charge their vehicle.

WE just moved to an apartment building in a very nice area. It has zero charging stations as do most of the apartment buildings around here. I cannot say none of them have charging stations, but none of them that I have checked out have them. I now live only a few miles from a suburb that installed solar street lights and had to rip them out less than a year later because they all went dark from a lack of sunlight.

Buffalo, NY is far from the ideal location for electric vehicles, also people in those apartments are unlikely to be driving $50,000 electric vehicles. Don’t expect charging stations to pop up where they are not needed unless it is part of the trillion-dollar infrastructure plan.

2 Likes

As more people are getting EV’s then the more demand there’ll be. There are a handful of apartments with charging stations in NH.

Here’s one.

Rivers Mark - Dover, NH | Apartment Finder

More in the Boston area. Apartment complexes that add charging stations are a nice advantage over apartments that don’t.

This may be moot if/when new battery technologies are introduced.

I live in a huge metropolitan area, and most shopping center parking lots near me don’t have charging stations yet. We do have a lot of Teslas though.

1 Like

From a climate perspective. But not from a cost of electricity perspective. Niagara Falls power makes for a cheap charge.

1 Like

Who says they’re going to pop up where they’re not need. If people in Buffalo are buying EV’s then companies will build charging stations. I would. It has the potential to make a lot of money.

I think type of driving is a far better indicator then location. If you only need a vehicle for commuting then an EV is a great vehicle. Location really doesn’t matter. The Tesla and many other EV’s are FWD and even AWD so they can easily handle the snow in Buffalo.

1 Like

It also has zero gas pumps, so I assume you ride a horse.

:wink:

7 Likes

My trip to the office is about 160 miles roundtrip. So now you can say you know ONE person with a 150 mile daily commute (although I work from home most days since Covid hit).

With cold western NY winters, I wonder what battery life will be like with seat warmers, heated steering wheel, rear defroster, heat, and headlights on most of the time. I want an electric vehicle, but I’m not quite ready for one yet. 440 miles on a tank of gas (13.9 gallon tank) and I never have to wonder if I can run accessories in the winter. And road tripping 600 to 1,000 miles one way is never a problem, no matter how far off the beaten path I may wander.

Tesla’s pop out door handles may work great in SoCal, but in Buffalo, NY they will have to contend with being cased in ice and snow. That should be loads of fun!!!

4 Likes

Tesla has bigger problems than pop-out door handles (that break constantly, by the way). They have a driver fatality problem…

A friend of mine died driving his Model 3, in the rain going to get coffee, excessive speed was the “cause” and he wasn’t the type to do this.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/11/opinion-how-many-deaths-does-tesla-consider-acceptable/?fbclid=IwAR0QBvbCguRKgZthy8E1parjGjJfN35hYaqbcFDJNse2D1gohZTAdDlRDC4

1 Like

Sorry to hear that.

There is a gas station directly across the street from our parking lot. I can fill my tank in 5 minutes. If you no longer work, you need a charging station where you live. Are employers going to provide a chargung station for every employee when everyone has an electric car?

Ye, Ni9agara Falls produces cheap electricity. I toured the plant 10 years ago and their cist was under 1 cent a kilowatt hour. If you divide our electric bills by kilowatt hours, you get 14 to 16 cents. All the cheap electricity goes to downstate manufacturers at 2 to 3 cents per kilowatt hour.

You don’t6 need 4 wheel drive in Buffalo, bu8t you do need a vehicle that can keep you warm overnight or maybe two nights if you get stuck on the Thruway in a storm and then have to have ange to get you off the thruway.

@Nevada_545. “Old timer” is just another person straining for reasons EVs will fail. He not only doesn’t see the EV writing on the wall, he doesn’t see the wall. Landlords will use chargers in the parking areas as a sales point, until the point where buildings that don’t offer chargers will have to lower rents. In my city, if a tenant wants to pay the electric company to install a charger at his building’s parking spot for his car, by law landlords must allow it. At present, this isn’t cheap, but prices will come down and/or enough parking stations will be built, they will be convenient, and improved batteries will greatly reduce charging time.

1 Like

@oldtimer-11. That suburb’s planners, who apparently were unable to consult daily sunshine records and corelate the average to the amount of sun required by the solar lamps, are rather dumb. Actually, I doubt your story: batteries augment solar panels in homes and, the large Tesla battery stations, for some cities, so they’re probably in use where needed for street lights.

On the EV thread I noted, there is a charging station in the parking lot of a chain sports bar, you and your car can get loaded at the same time.

3 Likes

I’ve toured the plant a few times. It’s right next to Niagra college. If in the area it’s worth the trip.

The dam on the Flaming Gorge Reservoir in Utah offered a self guided tour of the power plant. Pull up in your boat, take the elevator down through the dam to the turbine room. Then walk out to the lower deck, huge trout at the base, but no fishing allowed.
That was in the 70s, probably not allowed post 9-11.

Polaris has new EV at coming out. $25k and $30k. Charging stations in woods?