The Perfect Magic Bus

One nice thing about converting something to electric for a tour bus is how quiet it can be. Without the explosions associated with an internal combustion engine, the tour might be much more pleasant for the passengers. I know people doing the conversions with boats, which should follow the same pattern with cars.
http://www.silentboat.com/

How about a Jeepney?

Stretching a old VW is not as hard as it may seem, I’ve done a few.
You never would leave the old engine in the VW, there are lots of alternatives.
My Stretch Vanagon here: http://evcl.com/vw/ Runs a TDI on biodiesel.
The 21 window (or two) is bound to be hard to get, but is quite classy and the sunroof could be extended. You’d probably replace a good part of the running gear in order to be reliable, but you could maintain the classic look of the microbus.

I also do EV’s, and unless you are ready to drop $30K+ on a lithium battery pack, I would not suggest electric for the tours that you are describing.

Have fun!
-Otmar

Hey Jay! I just sent my own suggestions to C&C. That was BEFORE I found ‘you’ here on the message boards.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR IDEA!

As mentioned to C&C, this advice comes from someone with 35+ years the performing arts and one of many who sought to get ‘something for nothing’ for various projects and productions:

1. ALL of the vintners WANT more customers, a no brainer.

2. The vintners WANT customers to be safe, especially after drinking (they could be held legally responsible) and, in my opinion, would cherish someone to assist [them], especially on those dangerous roads and curves in the Santa Cruz mountains! (Use to live nearby.)

3. It is conceivable the vintners themselves would eagerly help fund your operation, no kidding. (You could have the participating winery brochures in your vehicle!!)

4. Since vintners have the bucks ($$$$) perhaps they could finance and/or co-finance a purchase of a vintage (pun intended) vehicle.

5. Also, it would seem logical that the vintners themselves would either own or know someone who does … the kind of vehicle you are searching for.

6. Since it is more than obvious your venue is PROTECTING visitors and local commerce, perhaps there is a local government agency that would assist either ‘funding,’ and or ‘approval.’ More, how about getting one of your local politicos to assist you? He/She would be seen approvingly by those voting vintners and visitors.

7. Another angle: get vehicle insurance companies to assist you?

Your idea is soooo good, that it doesn’t seem reasonable, considering your own money and time, that you should ‘have to’ go it alone for creating successful outcomes.

Wishing you all the best of success,
Marlene

From Honolulu

Jay, I’ve been driving down this hypothetical road for years, doing planning and designing a replacement for the classic Hawaiin Sampan Bus.

Sampan busses were in use all over Hawaii in the mid twentieth century. My brother-inlaw even had an old one when he went to high school on Oahu.

While working for a large architectural/design firm in Honolulu, I did the preliminary work on converting a school bus chassis to look and act like a Sampan (AKA 'Bananawagon), yet hold many more people. Any number of old busses from the fifties will serve, or pull the front clip off any fifties truck to get the right look.

The windows would come out, and a slide-back sunroof a’la VW Microbus insert would open it up the rest of the way. An A/T diesel drive-train will let you use biofuel, and the whold thing can easily be accomplished within your budget. The end result would look much like the White National Park coaches, already mentioned (which are virtually unavailable, BTW). We live on the edge of Glacier Natl. Park and are very familiar with the Whites.

I’ve also done the modeling using a long wheelbase crewcab Dodge Dually, but frankly a bus would work better in your situtation.

If you are interested I can provide you with more info and some sketches (including the PT Cruiser based version we’re planning for our own use when we return to Hawaii in two years.

Though I too, am a fan of the Sprinter for economic reasons and eco-factor, it lacks MAGIC. That being said I’m thinkin BIG RED double decker English bus, all decked out in psychedelic paint scheme. It should be easy to get since they are being phased out in G.B. Add a giant rag top for sun protection and a turbo to the motor for hills, heck, go transplant the Sprinter drive train and you’ll have a fuel efficient reliable neat lookin “MAGIK BUS”

Here’s a vote for the 1936 White 706 tour buses as used in Glacier, Yellowstone and I think, Zion N.P.'s. Skagway, Alaska had eight in their system, which I hear were sold to Ford for N.P. use. Ford restored and converted all available N.P. buses (except one original archived at East Glacier) to run on propane/natural gas, as well as tranny, suspension and other upgrades.
The bus has six curbside doors, one for each seat row. I think the interior could be relaid out to 10-11 single luxury seats with a center aisle rather than the existing three-abreast bench seating. Or a curbside aisle with double seats to the left side. There might even be room for an RV-type “comfort facility” at the rear. There are two doors at the back end. The fabric top slides back per the classic VW Microbus.
Not sure of price point…but it has all the qualities Jay wanted - nostalgia, comfort, fairly eco-friendly. And probably enough storage for all those cases of wine which the riders buy to bring back with them. There are some in private hands. Capital idea! Good luck with the project.

Jay - check this site! The restoration shop which did the N.P. buses. “http://tinyurl.com/25wdl9

(sorry to keep adding notes) But this may be of use, a very recent article about the 706’s.

IN GLACIER NATIONAL PARK, “THE RETURN OF THE REDS”; Congratulations to Motor Coach Age (April-June 2002) and the Motor Bus Society for once again contributing to the history preservation of this industry. This issue follows the development of stage and bus service within this National Park since 1910. Important was the role of Louis Hill, son of James F Hill of the Great Northern Railroad. Also important was the purchase of 35 White built model 706 tour buses with Bender art deco bodies in the mid-1930’s. Somewhat similar buses were also purchased for Yellowstone Park. These unique vehicles with open roofs and side doors at each bench seat have continued to run for many decades. Now thanks to the efforts of Ford Motor Co Chairman Bill Ford and Dennis Schwecke, these historic vehicles are being rebuilt by Ford. The original Bender bodies have been rehabilitated and mounted on a new Ford F-450 chassis with a V-10 dual fuel engine. The new buses have a 37 gal propane tank nearly 12’ long as well as a gasoline tank. The use of propane provides a polution free bus for this National Park. (Editor: In the shift to CNG, LNG and hybrid buses, lets not forget the large CTA fleet of clean air and quiet propane buses in the 1950’s. At that time propane was cheaper than diesel fuel but in time the two prices shifted.) Once again, congratulations to Motor Coach Age in preserving another important bit of bus industry history. To join the Motor Bus Society, $45 (single copies $6), PO Box 251, Paramus, NJ 07653.

"BUS TRANSPORTATION Magazine reported on the delivery of the first model 706 “Park Buses” in July 1936. This magazine was the mate to “Transit Journal” and was published by McGraw Hill. Now 66 years later, the Magazine has been outlived by the model 706 White bus. (Editor: Growing up on Manhattan, I was fortunate to discover the library of McGraw Hill in their art deco west 42d street office. Thanks to kindly librarians, I was able to read back issues of “Street Railway Journal”, “Electric Railway Journal”, “Transit Journal” and “Bus Transportation” after school.)

QUESTION: What is a “Gear Jammer” ? ANSWER: The name applied to the summer time drivers of the Red buses in Glacier National Park.

Use the VW bus. After you stretch it to seat a dozen and reinforce everything, remember that the front suspension AND the rear suspension are going to have to be upgraded to take the load. Consider Jeep components so that they won’t have to be narrowed. They should be adequate to the load.

Propulsion: Go with the ‘electric bus’ idea, but don’t throw out that VW boxer! Keep that 1200cc motor to power the generator to recharge the batteries. Batteries to what, you ask? After disconnecting the VW motor from the tranny and hooking it to the gen set, find the biggest electric fork truck motor you can get, and then get a couple of the fork truck batteries for long distant driving.

Now you understand why all the reinforcing and the use of the heavy duty suspension components! To further your ‘eco’ image, run the VW motor on propane. You will only have to run this motor to recharge the batteries and run the AC while the bus is stopped while your guests go through winery tours.

Don’t forget the period ‘mod’ paint scheme! Neil Webster, Springfield, OH
PS. I had half a dozen VW busses in the good ol’ days. Enjoy yours.

YOu should look into a Stanly Steamer Mountain wagon.
While an actual Steamer will be very expensive, a replica with a diesel or electric should not be hard to come up with.
Go to the Stanley website and check it out.
You might even work out a lease with a current owner!

This is the same vehicle I suggest as well. My family took a “Red Bus Tour” (http://www.glacierparkinc.com/downloads/RedBusBrochure.pdf) while at Glacier Nation Park a couple of summers ago and was the highlight of our vacation. We still talk about how the driver swerved unexpectedly into the other lane to douse us by driving under a waterfall!

This is the same vehicle I suggest as well. My family took a “Red Bus Tour” (http://www…ochure.pdf) while at Glacier Nation Park a couple of summers ago and was the highlight of our vacation. We still talk about how the driver swerved unexpectedly into the other lane to douse us by driving under a waterfall!

Jay, if you are paying attention to this thread, we need to make contact. I have been looking for you, and though it may seem strange, you are looking for me. I may have the exact solution you are looking for.

It will be worth the effort, I promise.

Contact me at dragonflyvans@hotmail.com

Cheers,
Scott

Interesting…

d r a g o n f l y v a n s @ h o t m a i l . c o m

no spaces…

How about getting a London double decker with the top roof cut off. I have seen a few of these around San Francisco full or tourists,

Here’s an example of a stretched VW bus

Here is a link to a post on the biodiesel WVO forum concerning a 67 Caddie that was restored with a 6.5L diesel engine that he converted to run on WVO. A classic american car like this is a natural to “strech”, and there are likely many local eateries that would be happy to sponsor the tour by providing free WVO. A sustainable, carbon neutral, classic American tour vehicle!

Sorry, here is the link, and a picture;

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/

Hmm, that link didn’t seem to work. Well, if you search the site for Cadillac American, you’ll find it. Maybe this will work!

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/6021055102