The new Bentley SUV

“Imagine sitting in the waiting room of a dealer 800 miles from home with a car torn down and being told the needed part is on back order.”

If I could afford the Bentayga, I could afford to be chauffeured anywhere and stay at a fine hotel while in town for repairs. Maybe the Bentley dealer would provide the chauffeur.

Didn’t Rolls Royce make house calls years ago? :slight_smile:

There is a lot of mythology regarding Rolls Royce, but it is possible that they did make house calls.

One of the legendary tales about RR concerns an owner who allegedly snapped an axle shaft in his RR sedan while driving in the Alps. RR supposedly flew a mechanic with the necessary parts to the scene, and the car was repaired at the roadside, without a request for payment.

The legend includes that, upon his return to England, the RR owner went to the factory in order to pay his bill, but was greeted with confused looks by the RR staff. When he explained the full circumstances preceding his visit, a RR staffer replied, “But sir, Rolls Royce axle shafts never break! You must be mistaken, and you owe us nothing”.

It’s a nice tale, but the probability of it being real is…very slim.

Marnet, you can apply my comment that IMHO an SUV is anything higher than a sedan to civilian noncommercial vehicles without cargo beds only. HumVees are purely utility… no “sport” component whatsoever. As are MRAPS. And Peterbuilts etc.

What would make an interesting traffic stop is if the police are a little suspicious and and while doing a search find a near empty open container of liquor in the back that was forgotten in the haste to hit the road…

The same could apply to the Land Rover featured on Top Gear a couple of years ago. Imagine not only open liquor bottles but the matching shotgun in the back that someone inadvertently left the shells in…

@ok4450 that would be the Holland & Holland Range Rover with the gun case in the back (only 40 made per year)

I looked at the site. I remain unimpressed.
In fairness, SUVs are not my type of vehicle. They’re the “mine’s bigger than yours” family cars. This one also shouts “I’m richer than you”. Pure conspicuous consumption.

SUVs aren’t for me either. But lots of people like them, and many of them are rich enough to afford something like this. After all, people buy Rolls Royce and Bentley automobiles, and have for about 100 years. There aren’t many built, and there isn’t a large market for them. It’s a big world and there are a lot of things I’m not interested in. It was fun to look at the uber-expensive Range Rover, though.

Jt, you’re right. I’d expect to see a few of these over-fancified Landies in Texas driveways. On 1,000 acre ranches. This Landy clearly isn’t targeted at the working class.

Hey, if a person wants an overly decorated depreciation wagon and can afford it, the more power to him or her.