The little engine that could

Chryslelr Sebring 97 6cyl 97K miles - engine light lit up and reads o2 - car stalls sometimes when I wait during red light when I keep my foot on the brake or when I first start it. I first had a mechanic replace an oxygen sensor ? that helped for a bit but the symptoms recurred. Then the mechanic decided to replace what I believe is a distributor cap because it had oil in it ? that helped for a few days. I then had another mechanic clean the fuel injectors, but they could not replace the fuel filter because it is hidden in some dark place in the nadir of this vehicle. This also helped for a few days, but now we are back in the stalling game (it helps if I keep the car in ?park? during the light instead of pushing the break).

I also tried using fuel filter chemicals to mix with gas (did not help). It might also be helpful to know that the car sometimes has a difficult time starting when the gas tank is close to empty.

My thinking is to go back to the mechanic and have him inspect the distributor rotor, but I wanted to check with you first.

How does the engine do when you’re actually driving?- like accelerating. Any problems then?

"the car sometimes has a difficult time starting when the gas tank is close to empty. " -this really does make me think it’s the fuel filter(s). You probably really should see what you can do about getting that replaced- even if it does mean dropping the gas tank or going through the trunk (assuming the filter for this car is in the tank). I’ve seen some pretty nasty filters far beyond the help of those gas additives you’ve been trying.

I doubt if the O? sensor was the cause of any derivability problems.

I would suggest finding someone who can change a fuel filter and have them check the fuel pump (pressure and volume checks)

My recommendation is that rather than go to the mechanic and tell him what to change you go to the mechanic, tell him your symptoms, and let him diagnose the cause.

I agree that it could be the fuel pump. When a tank gets low on fuel, the pump loses “head pressure”. That’s just a fancy way of saying that the weight of the fuel pushing the fuel up the pump’s pickup tube can assist a weak pump, but when the fuel gets low a weak pump may not be able itself to provide enough line pressure.

BUT that does not in any way change my suggestion.