The Isetta

During the winter when I was a boy (late 50’s?), I watched races on the ice of the frozen bay in my town on Lake Huron.
The racing vehicles were Isetta bodies with skis driven by airplane engines. They also gave rides to people for a nominal fee. As I look back I think the only safety feature was a prayer before the ride!!

1 Like

Yes, it was Dutch. I think it had a 7.5 HP engine. The transmission was primitive. Just a rubber belt and one variable pulley controlled by a spring. It would have been dangerous to drive in traffic.

1 Like

Do you have any way to verify that statement ? There were so few Isettas sold that it had to be a small group of racers .

1 Like

Actually, when you consider that it was the only automotive CVT at the time, it was quite advanced.

They’re called snow planes, and they’re very cool. They made 'em out of lots of different bodies. Basically you take a light car body or a junker airplane cabin (or sometimes just slap something together with sheet metal), stick an airplane engine on the back, sometimes with a shroud to try to stop people from getting decapitated, sometimes not, then put it on skis.

Here’s a video of an Isetta-based one. This particular one has gone 120mph, which strikes me as well over the line of insanity. :wink:

1 Like

That would make a super surfer van.

Unreal! We had one!! We lived in Levittown, NY in the 50’s and my Dad bought one to toodle around town in. Can’t find the picture we had but if I do…I will def post it!

1 Like

At the time, did you appreciate the “fact” that it provided “the safest drive ever”?
:smirk:

I hope you are satisfied with subsequent responses. Never thought I’d have to verify my vivid memories.