About to DIY brake pad replacement due to noise

noise is rapid chirping heard now and then while braking on seemingly uneven surfaces or harder braking on downhill slopes. otherwise the brakes dont make sound. seems only occuring on driver side front if i can pinpoint accurately.

i am a rideshare driver so my income makes it only feasible to DIY

this is my first time doing it. i know i need to now purchase a floor jack.

my vehicle is a mazda3 i touring 2010 model.

according to internet i need a 7mm allen head but will a 7mm hex key as in one of those tools that are not attached to a ratchet suffice?

seems i only need to buy brake pads, floor jack and 7mm hex key.

video tutorials recommend a brake caliper pump tool but i also read that a needle noise plier will work just fine for where that tool is required.

i am seeking experienced mechanics advise and suggestions for above concerns and inquiries. thank you in advance.

You should also replace the rotors.

It’s impossible to get new brake pads to bed properly on used rotors to prevent brake noise and vibration

https://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php?srsltid=AfmBOorwhdMv7CikzRJK_DRkIMiNd4F-LzNiFqLqjqU1AmTEGvTlRxuH

It’s also a good idea to use jack stands while the wheel is off even if you’re not under the vehicle. Having a floor jack fail letting the vehicle fall without the tire on can cause damage resulting more cost to repair.

Tester

2 Likes

You’ll also need a 17mm socket to remove the caliper bracket to replace the rotors.

Not making much income does not excuse you from paying for a proper repair. You are on road a lot more than a person who does not drive for a living. So a botched repair can endanger others.

5 Likes

I suspect that you can get the work done at a quality shop for the same or less than the cost of parts and tools. Brakes are one of the most important safety systems on your car. If you don’t do the job correctly you might lose the use of your car while it is repaired. If you plan far enough in advance the work can be done in less than one day and on the least busy day of your work week. Tell the shop that you use your car for work and they might put a high priority on getting you back on the road quickly, like less than four hours.

Would you really want to ride with someone who has to go on the wed asking how to do a brake job? I sure wouldn’t . Have a real brake shop do this.

1 Like

We all did our first brake job at some point. Tell me this YouTube video on replacing front pads on a 2010 Mazda isn’t better than any advice you received on replacing front pads prior to the “web”. I’d be more concerned that my rideshare driver hasn’t slept well in a few days.

I can appreciate cost being a factor and all that.

But bear in mind… it may take you the better part of a day, or even a weekend, to do this work yourself, and then you may not have even done it right or safely.

How much revenue/rides are you going to miss trying to “save money” doing the job yourself?

A while back I tried changing the brakes on my daughter’s 2014 Mazda 3. I could not get the brake rotors off for the life of me. Ended up having to take it to the shop, where they did the job right the first time while I drank their coffee.

+1 for taking the car to a repair shop.

1 Like

Still worth having an experienced friend available to help with the first one.

That is why he came to you.
It’s times like this you find out who your friends are.

True, but that wasn’t my first car repair task. I’m concerned OP is rushing into this without fully considering all the safety aspects. For example I had to gain some repair experience, and do some tooling up before attempting any brake work. OP, suggest to defer this brake work, or if needed immediately, pay a shop to do it for you. Suggest for your first car repair task be changing the engine oil and replacing the oil filter. You can start your tooling-up with a floor jack, two sturdy jack-stands, and a 3/8 inch ratchet & socket set. Once you feel comfortable you can safely change the engine oil/filter, let us know.

diy’er car repair jobs tend to end w/better results if somebody who has done it successfully at least one time before shows you how to do it for your first time.

1 Like

This site and I both disagree with that statement. Your link doesn’t say that either.

The transfer layer can be removed with a bit of sandpaper to make the surface ready for a new transfer layer from the new pads if the rotor surface is smooth. And if properly bedded, will be noise and vibration free. If it isn’t smooth, sure, replace the rotors in pairs.

I recently replaced all the pads on my Audi on old rotors and not with OEM pads. The rotors were smooth and in spec. The brakes make no noise, no grind or vibration and they stop very well.

I have done this in the past on my cars with no noise or vibration issues if the rotors are in good shape.

I gave advice to a person who’s attempting their first brake job.

And it’s usually a good idea to also replace brake rotors if the brakes are already making noise.

Tester

To add to the above, you might ask your CPA if that is a deductible business expense if you itemize.

I agree with replacing the rotors with new pads, especially with chirping noises and also with a newbie doing their first brake job.

1 Like