First time to use my new Floor jack, love it

I bought that heavy duty Hein-Werner 3-ton car jack in March, due to good recommendation by DB. I brought it back to Mexico by car, but had no reason to use it until yesterday. I decided it was time to change the oil again in my 2009 Mexican Sienna. I last changed it, I think, in November, with Mobil-1 EP. That came out to almost 7 months, but only about 5,000 miles. When I changed it in November, it quickly looked dirty, but some people have said that happens when you start using synthetic. We will see this next cycle, I guess.

I realized I had never used a floor jack. So, I treated it like I treated a new project in the oleā€™ radio factory. Read everything available, thought about it, then read it again.

The little manual said it should go up around 23 inches. This one stopped around 21 inches with no load. I will get some HW jack oil when I go back and make sure it is full and bled out. But, 21 is more than enough for my car work.

The first time was slow, not just for the reading. But, learning correct placement for the first time. I will probably always use it in the same place, so I changed the jack stands so it will be correct for any work underneath. After I got the jack stands set right, I put an extra tire/wheel under there as an absolute back-up, because of course, I had to take the jack out to work under there. This land is mostly rocks, so I found good ones to shove in front and behind a back tire. Put on the parking brake, of course. I donā€™t mind triple redundancy when my life is on the line. :smiley:

I think I mentioned it on another thread. But, the 2009 has a cartridge filter, I think you call it, where you take off a cap and remove the filter and put in a new one. The cap was so tight that to get it off, the tool I had bought from Rock Auto is frozen on the assembly. So, I cannot just drain out the filter oil first. The whole cap assembly has to come off in one piece. Sigh!!!

That means I also have to push the filter up with the cap as I screw it on. I had bought an expensive Bosch filter, I think 3972, not sure right now, and it turns out to be a totally different animal than the Fram Extra Guard 9972. No end pieces, so it has to be sort of stuffed in. I didnā€™t like the looks of that, and one reviewer on Amazon said his came all apart. The Fram ā€˜snapsā€™ into place, so I chose to use that one. The 3972 is actually a different dimension, 3.2 instead of 4 inches. Not sure that makes a difference.

There is a spec for torque on that filter cap. But, this one simply hit the end and stopped. I hope that was okay. Will probably have to check it after my first 100 mile trip. Ran it three minutes while still on the jack stands, no sign of leakage.

The 2002 Sienna always took exactly 5 quarts of oil. This one, the manual says 6.4 quarts with filter replacement, which I am sure helps the oil run cooler, but means no single container of oil will do the job. Alas, 6.4 quarts does not match the full mark, so I must experiment and get the exact reading. When I was back in Texas, I chose to buy 3 of the 5 quart containers, rather than pay a lot extra by the quart. Solution: use an empty quart container with the oil view slot on the back.

The discarded oil here is used by concrete workers, ā€œBurned oilā€ is used to coat wooden forms when making concrete beams for houses, and we have a small project for a neighbor woman who lives in dire poverty, next week. I donā€™t see a lot oil run-off from the forms, but the wood seems to have a lot of oil soaked in.

I said ā€œburned oilā€, because the oil he usually gets looks like it came out of an old Beetle VW after towing a Freightliner tractor across Mexico. Horrid stuff. Works great on forms, though!

At this time, I am very satisfied with that Hein-Werner jack, DB. Thanks. I admit it is a luxury, but compared to some of the luxuries people buy, this one was not a lot of money, $500. And, I have the satisfaction of buying nearly the best of a product, and know it will probably be used by several generations of Mexicans, long after I am gone. Well, at least that is what I am thinking. I wonā€™t be here to know if not.

The only thing left is to learn a soft touch when it is time to let the car down. The first time it came down really fast. It obviously takes a soft touch to bring it down slowly.

By the way, I can pick it up and move it, with care. I was concerned it might be too heavy, and have to remember I am 75, but I can do it. Just barely. :smiley: Of course, now that I have it in place, I will be able to just roll it where I want.

I will probably go back to the 8,000 miles between oil changes here, since I take few short trips, and a 100 mile trip usually once a month. This is definitely not the Snow Zone.

2 Likes

$500 is not a lot of money for a floor jack?

Not in my opinion

Itā€™s a solid 3 ton floor jack, made in USA

That will naturally cost considerably more than Chinese made jacks sold in Pep Boys or similar auto parts stores. Itā€™s also much bigger and heavier than the typical 2 ton cheapo stuff sold in those parts stores

2 Likes

I purchased a SEARS floor jack a few year ago ~$170-180. From day one it would not hold a load, but gradually come down over a couple of hours. The replacement jack did the same and I returned it. Purchased a Harbor Freight for ~$200, 23" lift and never had a problem. Not an inch give over hours holding up a truck.

ā€¦and yes, I do use jack stands as well.

Iā€™m glad youā€™re satisfied with the jack

As for the engine, I believe you have the 3.5 liter 2GR-FE . . . anyways, I noticed exactly the same things with the oil filter cartridges. Donā€™t bother with the torque wrench. I tried it once, and it wasnā€™t necessary. When itā€™s tightened with your ratchet and socket, youā€™re good to go, assuming you replaced the large o-ring. Iā€™ve also found that this particular engine takes a little more oil than is mentioned in the manual. I think it was closer to 7qts . . . ? And that drain plug on the oil filter housing? I was also never able to remove it. Itā€™s pretty much fused in place. Sounds like youā€™re doing everything the right way :thumbsup:

If at all possible, I recommend you donā€™t remove the jack handle too many times. The jack works just fine, but itā€™s kind of a pain to line up the handle properly, to insert the bolt.

As morbid as this may sound, Iā€™m glad you bought the tools, with future generations in mind. I also hope somebody else uses my tools after Iā€™m gone and/or no longer able to use them. Somebody at work recently lost their son, who was also a mechanic. And he sold the sonā€™s toolbox and tools for a VERY modest price to a young mechanic in his neighborhood, whoā€™s just getting started. The guy was able to get set up for literally pennies on the dollar. Iā€™ve never met this young mechanic, but I hope he knows what a great deal he got, and hope that heā€™s truly grateful. He certainly got a good start. Nobody ever gave me a good deal on used tools and toolbox, back when I was just getting in the business.

2 Likes

RE morbid use of tools, I need a 6" 1/4" or so drill bit for an upcoming project, and went to an estate sale run by the family, the guy must have been quite the handyman, car parts tools repair manuals etc. So I saw a 1/2" drill with a 6" 1/4" bit, how much for the drill? $3. Money was not an issue for them I think, just getting rid of stuff the easy way to be able to sell the house. Bought a nice pair of rainbow suspenders too, I hope he is happy I will be using his tools, as I will be for whoever gets it when I go, and meanwhile Iā€™ve got some cool suspenders, A busgirl said cool suspenders on Fathers day, but now I wonder if people think it is a gay pride thing, get the kevlar vest I guess

If youā€™re happy with the suspenders, who cares what others think?

When using it to lift up a $30,000 car not really. Quality tools and equipment cost money but return the investment in the long run. Thereā€™s a lot more to a jack than the hydraulic cylinder. The structure, wheels, handle, etc. are just as important and that Heinn-Warner jack will probably outlast most other brands out there.

3 Likes

Actually, I did not mean not a lot of money for a jack. I meant not a lot of money for a luxury. For some folks, a luxury is a BMW or Rolls or Lexus. My tastes are simpler.

And, for a jack which may last a lot of years, No, I donā€™t think $500 is a terrible price to pay. Like db, I am sick and tired of paying a lot of money and getting total junk. Or, even partial junk, I guess. :smiley: And, when the item can kill you, that is even worse.

Examples of other items which I considered top class were Coleman lanterns and camp stoves. My 2002 Toyota Sienna. My Bosch heavy duty professional power drill that my builder borrows when he hits a really tough drilling project, like drilling a hole in solid concrete. My Stihl chain saw. The heavy duty sander, brand name something with Porter in it, Porter-Cable??, I bought to sand my whole house when I retired. The usual cheapie sander from the store probably wouldnā€™t last 100 hours. This one said 100 hour maintenance, clean it. Seriously. I donā€™t need it any more, so I Permanently loaned it to my great son-in-law. He makes things, excellent things, out of wood.

I had to. My generation is not going here long enough to dull the paint on that HW jack. :smiley:

Iā€™ll get it measured and note it in the book so I remember better next year.

I must have been lucky. I stuck the handle in, and screwed the bolt in. Didnā€™t even know there was a line-up problem. :smiley: Iā€™ll probably pay for it next time.

Thanks, all for comments. I realize I do satisfy easily. I donā€™t need a Lexus to be happy, and I am happy to have one of the best and safest jacks that exists, and will be passed on to another generation.

I am happy with a donkey and a goat, then a few pullets and asses, bicycle a motorcycle central air, heat in the winter, water heater, indoor plumbing, crap I am spoiled giving living conditions of mankind in the 3rd world, kid donā€™t even know about outhouse or rotary phone and party lines,
But there are people living on the edge of starvation, with no amenities, maybe 1/3 of the world, Now the assumptive we are not suffering that fate, but there are many people living a different life style than ours. I cannot even fathom famine, like what I would do if I was there. Then there are bills to cut off food stamps etc, my guess that is why if the starving people come to invade your house you can shoot them
A castle doctrine, also known as a castle law or a defense of habitation law, is a legal doctrine that designates a personā€™s abode or any legally occupied place ā€“ e.g., a vehicle or home ā€“ as a place in which that person has protections and immunities permitting one, in certain circumstances, to use force (up to and including deadly force) to defend oneself against an intruder, free from legal prosecution for the consequences of the force used.[1] The term is most commonly used in the United States, though many other countries invoke comparable principles in their laws.

Not saying I would have any hesitation about shooting an intruder in my house, especially if the intruder was gooing for parts getting cleaned in my bathtub.:sunglasses: