The 710 Cap

This reminds me of a funny story involving my parents’ first date. Dad owned a 1962 XKE. He favored a shaved car, that is, all the badges and stickers removed. He did, and I do, believe that those baubles are there only to impress others. If someone has to look at the badges of a car to tell what kind of car it is, then he needn’t know. On their first date, my mother wanted to make a comment about dad’s car, but didn’t want to sound boneheaded and say something banal like, “Nice car.” She wanted to display some sort of automotive knowledge and say what kind of car it is. She looked the car over and couldn’t see anything that could tell her the make or model. That was until she read the word on the hubcaps. She took her place in the passenger seat, dad went around and sat on the driver’s seat. Mom said, This is a nice Undo you have here." Dad, ever the gentleman, said, “Thank you.”

Those XKEs Were *Really Cool Looking, Especially In 1962. Those Spinners Were Put On Before They Were Banned During The “Unsafe At Any Speed” Assault.

It’s a good thing she didn’t call it an Opun. I’m not sure if Dad knew what an Undo was, but he may have never figured out Opun.

Good story. I got a chuckle.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp190/FindStuff2/Cars/Hot%20and%20Exotic%20Cars/th_66xke.jpg * That’s what I’m talking about . . .

CSA

I came very close to buying that exact car in 1963. A colleague’s family owned a car dealership and it was a new trade-in from someone who had won it in a contest and did not know how to drive it.

I think he was asking $3500 for it, but I could not get it started (it was February) and since I was in sales, I needed a car that would always go.

In retrospect it was a good decision, since drivign 35,000 miles a year with this one would have cost a lot more than my 6 cylinder Pontiac Catalina hardtop.

Funny you mention that. One of the most vivid memories of my dearly departed father is of him sitting on a crate in the driveway, head in hands pleading with his car. “Why won’t you run? I’m so good to you. I keep you clean. I give you the best gas, the best oil. I keep you in tune. But you just won’t. Why, for the love of God WON’T YOU RUN?!?!”

Thanks for posting it and giving me a morning laugh. Both of those stories are pretty funny.

To me, those XKEs are one of the top all-time classic car designs that never go out of style no matter how aged they become.
I’ve got a friend who has 2 of them but they’re both modified. (only due to the fact they were near somewhat trashed non-running cars when he got them) One has a Ford 6 cylinder and the other a Chevy 350 as powerplants.

Going off on a slightly different tangent, the “710 Cap” anecdote was a favorite of a forum member, PleaseDodgeVan, who has not posted for quite some time. I really miss his quirky, self-deprecating sense of humor!

I hope that he is doing okay. Does anyone know him personally?

Interesting coincidence. I also spent one hour with the service manager of the local Jaguar dealer. He introduced me to the 7 or 8 shims that have to be adjusted to set the valves correctly every 20,000 miles. For those who drive in the city a lot, every 20,000 miles Jaguar also wanted you to “decoke” the cylinder head! The Road & Track solution for that was to drive the car 90 mph in second gear for a little while (Italian tuneup).

The triple carbs were probably the most difficult thing to synchronize.

Nevertheless, I think this is the sexiest car ever built. We had a middle age single engineer in our department, who had one. Although he was balding, the women would gasp when he drove by in the convertible version of the car.

Having said all this, it’s a great project car for a retired person with a big garage.

“it’s a great project car for a retired person with a big garage.”

…and a fat wallet!

Yeah, dad was a Brit car devotee. He ditched the Jag and picked up an MGB and a bug-eyed Sprite. (???) At least the Jag had the clamshell hood. The Sprite had a submarine hatch.

http://209.197.7.121/r2h7y7q4/cds/items/Thumbnails/Cars/23244/23244_Front_3-4_T.jpg?dopvhost=highwinds.barrett-jackson.com&doppl=1e7bf04e5278d1645228d13417385468c6fd53a7&dopsig=fed2411da6bf94597f7194a2eaa92b06

Some of those who did know me are still trying to forget. I’m trying to remember…

Ohhh, classy. At the risk of using a worn-out phrase, they just don’t make 'em like that anymore. Dad’s was a British racing green hardtop. I’ve decided, in homage to dad, I’ll replace the Jeep with a 2004 Land Rover Discovery. BRG, of course. The Jag will have to wait until that lotto ticket pays off… and that’s just for the tools.

He lives!!!

All XKE owners seem to have the same story to tell. I met a dentist in a self serve car wash and he had just bought $800 worth of tools (in 1969) to tune up his Jag. The local dealer, who sold mostly Austins was clueless about working on Jags and the nearest true Jag dealer was 150 miles away. He compared owning one to being married to Elizabeth Taylor (who was the most beautiful woman at that time); some exhiliaration, but mostly tempermental behavior and costly upkeep!