Thanks, Wal-Mart!

In my county, shoppers are mostly OK on following the common sense, I rarely see chin-worn mask or no mask, most of people seem to “get it”.
Unsurprisingly, COVID stats show almost a flat-line for the county and VA in general.

Thankfully, I have not encountered any of the no-mask people in any store in my area.
I do see some folks who fail to cover their noses with their mask, and while that is an incomplete effort, at least they are complying… sort-of…

I buy OEM filters for my Acura and Pontiac. I buy oil filters on line 6 at a time. I change air and cabin filters every 20K and have the OEM filters on the shelf waiting for replacement time. I ordered them maybe a year ago. I have trouble getting AC filters so yeah, need to order them way ahead of time. I think it was a marketing decision years ago but all of a sudden no one carries AC filters any more except the dealer.

As far as wearing a mask is concerned, I do wear my mask when I leave the house. I had a couple N95 masks I bought some years back to wear when mulching leaves with my mower in the fall. I hated breathing the dust from the leaves being chopped up. Also, I have one mower that really used oil and smoked pretty badly. I wore a mask when I used that mower. It did dry up for a while when I switched it to synthetic oil. However, it’s back to its old smoking habit again.
Even after the pandemic subsides, I may still have to wear a mask. Mrs. Triedaq thinks I look better with a mask. She says it makes me look ‘extinguished’.

4 Likes

Thank you, Norm Crosby.

2 Likes

The Wallmart near me moved the reference books from that isle to the counter for their repair shop. They said people were taking it or ripping pages out of it.

OEM filters? How about Denso filters since they are the OEM supplier to Honda/Acura.

Oil filters for my for my Toyota are cheaper at my dealer than at Walmart.

1 Like

I can hardly believe that.

SuperTech filters are something like under $3 and are very well made, so I’m buying 2-3 at a time so I do not need to go back there for a year.

That might make a bit of sense, but what about Wal-Marts (like the one I went to) that don’t have a “repair” shop? How are customers supposed to find the merchandise that they want? (Yes, in retrospect, I could have used my smartphone, but just as I failed to think of that expedient, many others might also forget to use their phone.)

The best price on a Toyota filter I can get at a dealer near me is $6. I can get Wix filters for $4.

The Toyota filter at my dealer is $5.75, MY Walmart lists 18 cartridge filters for my car. 1`7 of them are more expensive , ranging from $6.50 for the cheapest Fram to $26.50 for a brand I did not notice the name because I am never paying $26.50.

The Super Tech is $2.97 and as always, it is out of stock. I do not think my Walmart wants to have a $2.97 filter to sell.

I go to WM twice a month or more. I get my engine oils from them. It is the only place that I can also pick up some other stuff I need, last night it was printer paper and light bulbs.

I used to get a lot of my carwash/wax stuff from them but the pandemic has made their supply a bit limited. I had to order mu NuFinish paste online (sold be advance auto, shipped by WM), but it was free shipping. I needed 3 ton jack stands, bought them Monday to pick it up later, but they e-mailed me that they don’t have any in stock.

As mentioned, I always check the filter numbers with my phone, sometimes the price is lower online too.

On oil filters, my Hyundai cars need Hyundai oil filter, so I buy 10 at a time online to the tune of $4.5 each. WM has the expensive version of the Prius filter, I get is from the dealer for $3.99 with a coupon.

I have relatives in Arkansas, but I generally avoid Walmart like the plague; There’s one not too far away from us and I’ve universally had poor service the times I’ve gone there. They’ve gotten better but half the time the good will store is neater, too.

My Walmart has eliminated the cross ref books in favor of these small shelf mounted LCD boxes that you punch in your car/year/model and it provides the oil, air, cabin filter numbers. Perhaps your store had something similar and you didn’t notice it.

At my Walmart the batteries powering them pretty quickly died, making them VERY hard to read.

1 Like

I was never a big W-M fan but occasionally took advantage of their convenient location and wide range of inventory but more and more lately their staff seems bothered when asked for any assistance, even for directions to a particular product. At my last visit to Sam’s Club I mentioned to the apparent manager that NMJ was the current motto of the staff including himself. I couldn’t tell if he was totally unconcerned or unaware of what I meant.

Nice thing about Walmart, to locate an item just type it into the app and it tells you the aisle where it is.

Nope!
There were no reference sources of any kind, except for the battery cross-reference books.

I’m old and I grew up working in retail where waiting on customers was the single most important job of everyone there. And those linked up screens never worked for me, I long ago learned to ignore them.