TESLA Tax Two-Step

I'm always amazed when foreigners come here with limited language skills and not knowing what our citizens know and see all the opportunities available here.

If you think opportunity is available to everybody in this country no matter what ethnicity…you’ve been watching Fox New too much. We’ve made great strides in the past 50+ years…but we have a long ways to go.

1 Like

@MikeInNH Yes, if we quote the exceptions rather that what is normal we get a distorted view. Many of those coming from third world countries have extraordinary ambition.

A couple of years ago I attended a meeting in a large office tower. The meeting went in to the evening. On my way out a saw an Asian man washing the floors. Waiting for the elevator I struck up a conversation and learned this was his second job in addition to his day job.

He wanted his family to succeed and his children to go to college and become professionals.

The average American is probably not that dedicated or energetic.

Nearly all our favorite restaurants are run by foreign born families.

“If you think opportunity is available to everybody in this country no matter what ethnicity…you’ve been watching Fox New too much.”

Sorry, I’ll have to negate this, too. I can’t get Fox News on my over-the air TV antenna.

CSA

if opportunity is so universally available, why do we have so many criminal gangs in the USA? Lack of opportunity, even if it is only a perceived lack, drives children to criminal activity. Those that eventually decide that they want to live past 25 try to change, and some are successful.

“Lack of opportunity, even if it is only a perceived lack, …”

I agree. It is the perceived lack of opportunity that is the problem. I was taught the difference between the perception and the reality.

I live in a very rural area where sights to see abound. Our main industry is tourism. Job openings go unfilled. People go on assistance because they either perceive that jobs aren’t available, don’t pay enough, or it’s easy to get government assistance or it’s easier.

Workers are imported from Jamaica to fill the positions. They are provided housing and appreciate the opportunities (Maybe it’s too difficult to get assistance in their own country?) Some of these people work 2 jobs to make up for a beginning wage.

Some job opportunities go unfilled even though wages are raised to attract workers. I just feel that if people can fly here from another country to work, then people in this country could certainly arrive by bus.

I was always taught to provide for myself, but I’m afraid there are individuals who have no qualms with being dependent. Could that be what causes one to have such little self-respect and enough spare time, to join a gang?

CSA

There are a lot of people who choose to stay un-employed rather than take a job that pays less than what they used to make and I know of at least one individual, whom I had personal contact with, who asked to have his hours cut so he could stay eligible for welfare. He’ll never climb out of poverty with a mindset like that.

I live in a very rural area where sights to see abound. Our main industry is tourism. Job openings go unfilled.

There have been many many examples in this country…that when good paying jobs are available…people are willing to work. First company I ever heard of doing something like this was CDC (Control Data Corporation) back in the 60’s…they decided to build their manufacturing plants…and pay good wages in some of the poorest and highest crime areas in the country. When they started to employ LOCAL workers…poverty went down…people got of welfare…and crime drastically reduced.

1 Like

"If opportunity is so universally available, why do we have so many criminal gangs in the USA?"

Being a testosterone-addled male coming of age ALWAYS has led to high-risk “rite of passage” activities; usually hazardous and frequently violent. Some generations enlist, some drive entirely to fast, some join some sort of gang. Which path you take depends on a lot of things, including what older males in your area do.

As to why criminal gangs…we have a “one-two” punch combination of a welfare program that gives you money–provided you don’t GET CAUGHT working, AND a drug war that GUARANTEES a large number of well-paid “under the table” jobs that lend themselves to criminal organization.

Oh boy. Back when I was young I never weighed more than 125# but I made fairly good money making hand trucks, HVAC equipment, and cans and bottle caps. Most places are pretty automated enough that you don’t have to be a big guy to get by. You did have to work hard and fast and get to work every day on time though.

I don’t know that New York is a good example. It is not known for its business friendly environment and maybe a declining job environment is a part of that. When I worked in the big city, some people would complain about the lack of opportunity in the inner city. Having just driven in, I was puzzled because there were 70,000 cars a day driving into downtown Minneapolis. Obviously there must have been some jobs there.

The other thing is that in this country there are no border restrictions from state to state. You are free to drive from upstate New York to South Carolina without restrictions. So after getting some type of education which is free or nearly free in this country if you include Vo-tec, you are free to move any place you want for opportunity. One of the first things I did after high school was get mobile with a car and the next year I was 200 miles from home.

Everybody has an excuse though for their problems but some just seem to be able to overcome them.