Tell Us Your Favorite Auto App

MotionX GPS Drive is a free iPhone GPS app that works great. You can subscribe to vocal directions with a small monthly fee but it works great without it. You get a free trial of the voice directions and they are much easier to understand than most of the dedicated GPS on the market. I have a Magellan, and a Garmin GPS and this iPhone app is still my favorite.

It’s a wonderful app for tracking virtually everything about your car(s), from gas mileage to maintenance to trip statistics!

Trip Splitter. Its awesome.

Trip Splitter for iphone

I think my iPhone app, “Trip Splitter”, would be a great nomination for this. Trip Splitter allows you to record shared expenses, who paid and how to even up. It is great for trips and people are liking it.

I would suggest “Trip Splitter” for iPhone

Other suggestion would be Google Maps for Android.

Trip Splitter that allows you to keep track of all expenses on a trip and split the expenses if you are traveling with others so everyone knows who owes/spent what.

VCDS (formerly known as Vag-Com). It’s an indispensable tool in diagnosing and tuning VW/Audi cars.

ETKA. Having the part number so you can order you own OEM parts is the only way to go.

A friend turned me on to RepairPal. It tells me what I should pay for a repair no matter where I am. It’s free and has proven to be very accurate. It also tells me what is usually included in each repair. Very cool!

Ditto on the Repairpal app. I use it to find out how much I save on repairs I do myself, and for those times I take my car to the shop I know if the shop is charging fairly.

I like RepairPal at http://www.repairpal.com/, and for both Apple and Android (http://repairpal.com/Mobile) for reliable vehicle repair estimates and lists of qualified repair facilities.

I use RepairPal’s free app for iPhone, and I recommended it to a lot of people so now half my friends and family have it too. It saved me a fortune last year.

Repairpal.

When I was driving to Portland with my lovely wife, we broke down in a remote part of Oregon. Fortunately I had the app, we were able to get towed to a great mechanic nearby even though we didn’t know the area. Now I use the app whenever I go to the shop, and have avoided paying a few really outrageous quotes, in all cases the mechanic brought their price inline with Repairpals quoted price (and with three older cars we’re going to the shop a lot).

I consider the Repairpal app one of the most important assets on my phone. When I switched from an iPhone to an Android phone it was one of the first apps I installed. I recommend it for everyone I know.

I like the same Trip Splitter app someone mentioned above, I use it on wine-trips with my friends when we head up the CA coast. One person can pay for everyone’s wine-tasting, or dinner, or gas, and then I just check off who split it (and I can unevenly do it too for the gluggers), and I don’t have to worry about splitting everything up all complicatedly

With out a doubt the best android car related app is zombie run. It is an overlay for google maps that populates the map with random zombies on the streets between you and your destination. If you run into any of the zombie horde while driving, game over. Take side streets and pull into parking lot to bypass the brain eating menace but don’t let them get close or the will see you and chase down your car. Take a normal road trip to grandma’s house and make it extrordinary

Dave from hillsgrove, pa

Favorite but dangerous - Google maps used as a navigation aid on my iPhone when ‘roaming’ - it cost me $110 to navigate as a friend drove me from Palo Alto to central San Francisco on a recent visit from Canada! That app is data-hungry!

iPod Touch------Safari CarTalk link

I use RepairPal to help me figure out how to repair my car

Yeah, I also use Google Maps for navigation. And I use UrbanSpoon to find places to eat when I’m somewhere new on a roadtrip. I use RepairPal to keep my car maintained and make sure mechanics aren’t fleecing me. I used it once on the road to find good local help, that was a lifesaver.

I’m on the road a lot. GasBuddy, for gas prices. RepairPal, for repair shops and prices. UrbanSpoon to find a good spot to eat.