Tell me the bad news

Jeep was overhearing, could hear the fan working overtime. Parked it and there was a bit of smoke, and the leak pictured. Any guesses as to what I should be expecting in repair cost?

Hi Mike:
It would help us if you provided the:

• year of the Jeep
  • engine size
  • mileage on the Jeep
  • how long you drove it while it was overheating (e.g. while the temp light was on).
  • where there any other symptoms, like engine noises, or is the engine frozen now?

And any other relevant information would be helpful.

5 Likes

Yep could need a hose or a new engine.

5 Likes

Not without doing a proper inspection of the vehicle/cooling system etc…

1 Like

When the OP first realized that his engine was overheating, did he continue to drive it for… 5 seconds, or 5 minutes, or 15 minutes, or… ?
It makes a huge amount of difference.

2 Likes

Less than 5 minutes

Cracked radiator. $875 maybe

2 Likes

Bad news: it’s broke.

Good news: fixing it will be cheaper than a new jeep.

5 Likes

The A/C condenser and radiator appear to be coated with oil. Have the transmission hoses been leaking for a long time or is the result of your engine failure? Mopar red coolant won’t leave a thick coating like that.

2 Likes

No idea what’s causing the leak, but a mechanic’s visual inspection, shouldn’t take much time to determine. My guess is the radiator has sprung a leak.

I diy’er replaced the radiator on my Corolla a few years ago, $100 for the replacement and took a little less than an hour to do the job. Corolla doesn’t have A/C, with A/C labor hours will be a little more.

In the manner of misery loves company

One of the truck’s featured in last nights “America’s Truck Night” (tv show), the owner got a little too aggressive, too much gas pedal, not enough brake. The truck flew through the air after a bump, landed very hard, frame broke in half, transmission broke in half, rear differential gears destroyed, oh, and the engine moved forward, driving fan through the radiator … lol … so put things in perspective, most likely a minor problem, things could be much worse!

2 Likes