Tail/brake light issues

Hello everyone, I am new to the site.
I just purchased a 2000 ford contour and it only has one major problem, the tail lights stay on after shutting off the engine and turning the lights off, you actually have to pull out the fuse to get them to turn off and then replace it before driving again, I looked through the owners manual and cod not find a solution. Also, the brake lights don’t get brighter when you press the brakes, I’m not sure if that is part of the same problem or another issue entirely.

Anyways, any help would be deeply appreciated as I am a Marine and cannot drive the car off base legally until I get this issue resolved.

There’s a switch at the top of your brake pedal that’s activated when you press the pedal. It sounds like that switch needs to be replaced.

I agree with Lion. Brake lights are not disabled when the engine is shut off, and if that switch is bad (and I’ll bet money on it) the lights will stay on even after you shut the car off.

Sincere thanks for your service to our country. We owe you and all our other service men and women as well as our military veterans a great debt of gratitude.

I agree with @lion9car and @mouintainbike. We had rthe same problem with our Nissan some years back; the brake light switch got stuck in the closed position and the lights stayed on. The fix was easy and cheap.