Brake lights

I have a 2004 Dodge Caravan.

Just this morning I noticed that even while parked and with my foot off the brake the brake the brake lights stay on.

If I turn the key to off they go off, and while the key is in the off position the brake lights work normally but as soon as I turn the key to on they go on and won’t turn off.

I have tried, removing the fuse, the light still stay on.

I have pulled the cable that goes to the brake switch near the pedal.

I have checked and none of the lights are burnt out excpt for the middle brake light, I pulled that out and the lights stayed on, that bulb was burnt out.

Is has been raining here in NY, so I was thinking that maybe there is a short someplace, but where?

I tried but I didn’t find a Brake light relay in the relay box with the fuses.

Any ideas?

I know this is very dangerous so I can’t drive the car like this.

Have it scanned for codes. There may be a body code to help give a clue.

Also I just checked and brake pedal shift interlock has stopped working

Here is the brake switch description. If you have a tow option, there are brake light relays.

CAUTION: The switch can only be adjusted once. That is during initial installation of the switch. If the switch is not adjusted properly or has been removed for some service, a new switch must be installed and adjusted.

When the brake pedal is pressed, the plunger on the outside of the brake lamp switch extends outward. This action opens or closes the contacts of the three switches inside the brake lamp switch.

With the brake pedal pressed down (plunger extended), the switch for terminals 1 and 2 is closed completing the circuit. The switch for terminals 3 and 4 is open and so is the switch for terminals 5 and 6.

When the brake pedal is released (plunger pushed in), the three switches assume the opposite positions. The switch for terminals 1 and 2 is now open while the other two switches are now closed, completing their circuits.

A lever on the back of the switch is used to set the switch into the “adjusted” position. A non-adjusted switch will have the lever set to the diagonal position in relation to the switch housing. The plunger can be moved in and out, but the states of the internal switches will not change.

CAUTION: Never move the adjustment lever of the new brake lamp switch without it being properly installed in the vehicle first. Such action will render the switch unusable and the switch must be discarded.

Adjustment Lever Movement

Once installed in the vehicle as described in the brake lamp switch installation procedure (Refer to ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - EXTERIOR/ BRAKE LAMP SWITCH - INSTALLATION), the new switch’s adjustment lever is rotated to the adjusted position as indicated. This action locks the plunger to the internal switches. Once in this position the switch is permanently adjusted (or locked) and cannot be readjusted or released even if the lever is moved back.

what puzzles me is that even after you disconnected the cable from the brake pedal sw. the lights stay on. That is the power source sw. so they should go off unless, A there is a crossed hot lead that by-passes the sw. or you disconnected the hand brake sw. cable, but not the bake peddle sw. Try pulling fuses one by one until the lights go out, and that will tell you which circuit the brake lights are drawing current from. That might be the clue you need.

I pulled fuses as you said, I pulled one that said flashers and that turned off the flashers, brake lights, and instrument panel, so when I pulled this the brake lights went out.
I’m starting to think that maybe the switch is bad.
I priced out the switch and it is about $15 online.
I will stop by the store and pick one up.
Does anyone have any advice on installing it.

I found a solution!
The center brake light had burnt out, I removed it and the lights remained on.
As soon as I put the light bulb in it works.
Very strange but I’m happy it works